A&H

Best day jobs outside of refereeing

ref craig

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Hi all over the past year I've been looking for a job that can give me the best opportunity to referee on weekends but also referee weeknights if I get anything now I'm looking for a good few recommendations for outside refereeing

The Referee Store
What do you do at the moment?

I imagine changing job whilst staying in the same area of occupation would be easier than trying to find something new that you've not done before.

Mark Halsey took up taxi driving, if you have the skills being a self employed plumber, electrician, locksmith or similar might also work as as long as you're making enough money ton support yourself and your family you can choose what jobs you do and when.

I'm unemployed currently I'm looking into a role like a 9-5 and iver something admin or something that will not reguire me working weekends

Of all the years I've refereed the most prominent jobs I've come across are postmen and lorry drivers. Both usually start very early and finish very early, so are fine to get away fro games both weekend and midweek. Although they don't get a lot of sleep between the end of night games and starting work I would guess.

Also lots of police officers, students and teachers in my experience.

Royal Navy? I get time off to officiate. Not many employers will let you do that.

Well, Police and Teachers are the stereotypical referee jobs in my experience.

Although I know most teachers will generally stay late to some extent, you can on occasion leave bang on 4, so I guess that works well for the occasional midweek game. And police will be shift work I assume, but organised much further in advance than a lot of shift jobs - again, giving you the chance to arrange matches when required well in advance.

I work 9-5 mon-fri, which obviously gives me complete freedom at weekends and is not really a problem for taking local midweek matches. I think as long as you're prepared to be flexible with what leagues you're refereeing on, all you need to worry about is avoiding a job that will have you working every Saturday.

Yes and no I have got free now for a year and if I become seizure free then I can start driving

Back