A&H

Big Academy Match

HullRef

RefChat Addict
I've got a big match tomorrow either U13 or U14, Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesday. Hopefully no problems but it could get a bit feisty. One bonus though, because they have asked me to do two matches instead of one (last minute) they have offered to get me into the 1st team game afterwards against Notts Forest in the 5th round of the FA cup.
Result! :D

The Referee Store
Really well, I got there and they said I was on the U9's and U14's but I soon got my way out of that and assisted on the U13's and U14's, I was offered the middle but I said I would rather gain some experience on the line instead which turned out to be a good call. The U13's finished 7-1 to Wednesday, no major calls but a few offsides that were close, then the U14 game was a lot closer but ending up 4-0 to United. Again no major decisions ( quite a few foul throws though). David Hirst was there as a coach for Wednesday so that was a bonus. If red and yellow cards were given at academy level then the ref would've booked about 7 and sent off about 3 in each game but because of the "no card" rule most players only had a talking to and then went and made the same bad challenge 2 minutes later.

Still I really enjoyed it and they gave me a free ticket to the United cup match, 3 smoke bombs, 3 pitch invasions and 3 goals for United, great game!!

So all in all I had a great day! :D

If red and yellow cards were given at academy level then the ref would've booked about 7 and sent off about 3 in each game but because of the "no card" rule most players only had a talking to and then went and made the same bad challenge 2 minutes later.

Not that old chestnut again. Who the feck do these academies think they are and why do referees pander to their whims

pleased for sheff utd though ;)

Its now been stopped in Man Utd and City's academies. Why do referees do it? In order to get games at those academies! It's just the way it works at some academies, and as a referee I don't really mind.

E.g. had a game the other week. Player commits his 2nd foul, then has a bit of a tantrum at me. I call him over for a quiet word, he turns it into something it isn't, I tell him about his respect etc, I've finished talking to him and his manager said sub please ref, takes him straight off. He has his tantrum whilst walking off, this time at his manager. He comes on later in the game, and doesn't cause me 1 problem. There is a player that has learnt his lesson, and learns some respect. I don't have to take action, he now respects me and his manager, problem solved!

If a player warrants a card in a normal game, I tell his manager (whilst passing, don't stop game for it) that at next outing the player needs to be taken off. Usually, before the game has started and when I'm talking to the managers, they say if you have any trouble talk to me, and I'll take them off straight away. So, I don't really have any troubles with the system that is run at some academies.

by the same token i'm assuming that howard webb got the arsenal liverpool game because he agreed to give no more than one penalty

hopefully the f.a. stamp it out, as Mark Ives said they were going to do, cos once referees start pandering to the wishes of clubs instead of applying the lotg, then the game is really f@cked

how would you feel if a player who should have been suspended broke another player's leg in the game that he should have been suspended for?

No, Howard Webb is appointed by a governing body, i.e. The FA, whereas in these cases academies appoint themselves (but not in all cases). That does not mean that we favour decisions in any way for one team; the same rule applies to both teams in the case of 'no cards'. If we didn't follow that way, and started doing whatever we wanted, we would not get games there. I know a ref that started there, he wasn't aware of the no cards issue, carded a player, afterwards was told there aren't cards at the level usually and he said oh, that's fine, I won't use them again then.

In my experience it doesn't cause a problem, instead increases the power you have, because if they're not playing game time, they can't get noticed for what they're doing, and if they're causing the academy problems then the academy will release the player.

If a player is causing me problems, then I will asked for him to be subbed. That makes it easier for me to control a game. He then causes me no problems afterwards, and I make it easier for myself.

I have no problems in working the no card system in academies, because managers are co-operative.

My decisions are not swayed in anyway because of the games, but it's just a different approach taken with players.

Makes you wonder why city and united have stopped the practise then? doesn't it?

I think it was because the point was made to them by the FA to stop it, as the same point will be made to all clubs within the future I am led to believe, and has been made to different clubs

I'm on the FA's side too. What I'm saying is I have no problem in using the 'no cards' technique

It is all well and good saying the no cards rule can be effective but when they get to open age, they are in for a real shock or it could make them think they can get away with a lot of things!!

But if I'm telling their managers to take them off, then they know they've done something warranting a yellow card, so they know what they can and can't get away with as in a normal football game!

Just to make it clear, I want the FA to stamp out the no card rule, I'm just saying that I can work with it at academies!!

at Norwich academy if we find it appropriate i.e no way of managing it or a mandatory card we caution and send off as we would on a Saturday afternoon and coaches don't mind either

Back