A&H

Biggest Game of the Season

I do fear for Sheffield and Norwich next season, I'm not confident either will really compete and I don't think any bottom half premier league clubs would be too worried about who got promoted.
Strangely wrong, Villa conceded 20 goals more than us last season, we had 21 clean sheets, Of the 3 with some strengthening we are as good as many in the bottom 10. Let’s see!

The Referee Store
Strangely wrong, Villa conceded 20 goals more than us last season, we had 21 clean sheets, Of the 3 with some strengthening we are as good as many in the bottom 10. Let’s see!
In the season Boro went up, they conceded 31 goals all season and kept a record 23 clean sheets. In the prem, we were 9th in the table for goals conceded but got relegated. It's all well and good having defensive structure but it's a completely different story trying to do the business at the other end as well.

Historically, newly promoted clubs have a good survival record
in the 27 years of the premier league, only 3 of them didn't have a newly promoted side in the relegation places.

I think it's under estimated how much of a gulf in quality there is between the championship and the prem. What are considered match winners in the championship are bang average players in the prem. You only have to look at players like Dwight Gayle, Jordan Rhodes and Tammy Abraham to establish how much of a step up that really is.

I do fear for Sheffield and Norwich next season, I'm not confident either will really compete and I don't think any bottom half premier league clubs would be too worried about who got promoted.
I can see both surviving tbh, especially if they spend their money wisely. I fancy Norwich a bit more because they already have good money and play good football, but Blades have a good spirit and manager, although I can see them struggling more. If either go down, they're all set up for the future anyway with Prem money and parachute payments. Can see Villa doing well with their mega rich owners. Championship's quality doesn't seem great but there's always surprises there

I can see both surviving tbh, especially if they spend their money wisely. I fancy Norwich a bit more because they already have good money and play good football, but Blades have a good spirit and manager, although I can see them struggling more. If either go down, they're all set up for the future anyway with Prem money and parachute payments. Can see Villa doing well with their mega rich owners. Championship's quality doesn't seem great but there's always surprises there

I just think the quality required when stepping up is under estimated. I think you're right that Villa are best equipped to stay up, especially financially but with every club, they need to invest sensibly. Fulham played excellent football in the championship and threw money around when promoted and couldn't compete. Cardiff went the opposite direction, relying on defensive structure and the odd signing here and there.

I just think the quality required when stepping up is under estimated. I think you're right that Villa are best equipped to stay up, especially financially but with every club, they need to invest sensibly. Fulham played excellent football in the championship and threw money around when promoted and couldn't compete. Cardiff went the opposite direction, relying on defensive structure and the odd signing here and there.
I think Blades will have the hardest time and I do think they'll go down, but I won't be too surprised if they don't. I think Norwich will just stay up but if they don't they'll probably become a yo-yo club again. I presume Norwich and Blades won't spend like Fulham did so it'll be interesting to see how they do. Villa now have the potential to become an established Prem side again

Of the three I’d say Norwich are in the worst position at this point, leaky defence which can’t rely on sneaky late goals they’ve mastered this last season, Villa will strengthen of course. Big old club with a long proud history. We’ve only spent 8.6 million in three seasons so god knows what happens now. They won’t bankrupt the club though longer term!

Of the three I’d say Norwich are in the worst position at this point, leaky defence which can’t rely on sneaky late goals they’ve mastered this last season, Villa will strengthen of course. Big old club with a long proud history. We’ve only spent 8.6 million in three seasons so god knows what happens now. They won’t bankrupt the club though longer term!
You're right about Norwich's defence. I presume that'll be where they strengthen most. Not sure Pukki will be anywhere near as effective against Prem defences

In the season Boro went up, they conceded 31 goals all season and kept a record 23 clean sheets. In the prem, we were 9th in the table for goals conceded but got relegated. It's all well and good having defensive structure but it's a completely different story trying to do the business at the other end as well.

in the 27 years of the premier league, only 3 of them didn't have a newly promoted side in the relegation places.

I think it's under estimated how much of a gulf in quality there is between the championship and the prem. What are considered match winners in the championship are bang average players in the prem. You only have to look at players like Dwight Gayle, Jordan Rhodes and Tammy Abraham to establish how much of a step up that really is.
Only about 40% of automatically promoted teams drop straight back down with an average finishing position of 14th
So, I stand by my comment. Cup results also back this up
You could normally throw a blanket over the top 6 Championship teams and the bottom 6 EPL stragglers
Dwight Gale and Tammy could player for any of these 12

Does the team moving up the PL get an influx of TV money because it will get a share form the PL contracts?

(From an American perspective, relegation is such a strange thing--the difference in investment and TV revenue is so different between the top league and anything else in any of our sports that the idea of a team dropping our moving up would really make no sense to anyone involved. That may be exacerbated to some degree by the sports model here in which, to some degree, college competition is a key part of lower levels.)

Dwight Gale and Tammy could player for any of these 12
Both have tried, both haven’t done well. Admittedly Abraham has age on his size but I’m willing to bet Gayle hasn’t scored many more than 20 goals in his 4+ seasons in the prem

Salah was poor in his time at Chelsea, 3-4 years later he looks a world beater in a different team, it happens!!

Does the team moving up the PL get an influx of TV money because it will get a share form the PL contracts?
Yes they do - but that's only part of it. As @Sheffields Finest's posts show, TV revenue is equally shared between all the clubs. In addition to all the actual, guaranteed amounts shown in his graphic there is an almost inevitable increase in things like gate money, advertising revenue, sponsorship deals, club product sales etc.

Back