A&H

Boro v Fulham

The Referee Store
Red player, for me, is the first to "push". With his left arm onto the defender, a split second later yes the defender uses his arms to block the attacker, I think in real time it looks like they are both using arms on each other at the same time, and the defender is stronger and comes out on top. Its not like an attacker to end up on floor in a contest with a defender!
Would not be surprised to see a pk here, and I dont know the referee position to be able to take a guess at what he see's but, but, admittadly after a few views, for me, they are both using arms illegally on each other so, no foul either way, play on

Yes, the forward puts his arm around the defender slightly but for me that's incidental contact as part of an attempt to shield the ball while turning and not worthy of calling as a foul. The defender (Kalas) however just delivers a blatant push to the middle of the forward's chest, sending him sprawling to the ground. Stone wall penalty for me, too.

I also thought Middlesbrough were doubly unlucky in that the penalty given against them had the Fulham forward going down after being on the receiving end of almost exactly the same amount of contact as the challenge which saw Dan Gosling go to ground in the Bournemouth vs Arsenal game and for which he was given a yellow card for simulation.

Full disclosure, I'm a lifelong Boro fan so possibly a little biased.

Interesting. The striker has a coat hanger around the defender's neck and the defender does a sumo push on the striker. If you don't call a foul here you are digging hole for yourself. The ref's position is good enough to see both. I'd be calling a FK for the defender, but only just.

Yes, the forward puts his arm around the defender slightly but for me that's incidental contact as part of an attempt to shield the ball while turning and not worthy of calling as a foul. The defender (Kalas) however just delivers a blatant push to the middle of the forward's chest, sending him sprawling to the ground. Stone wall penalty for me, too.

I also thought Middlesbrough were doubly unlucky in that the penalty given against them had the Fulham forward going down after being on the receiving end of almost exactly the same amount of contact as the challenge which saw Dan Gosling go to ground in the Bournemouth vs Arsenal game and for which he was given a yellow card for simulation.

Full disclosure, I'm a lifelong Boro fan so possibly a little biased.

I dont often refer to the LOTG for exact quotes, but, if analised to atom proportions, page 100 says the shield act is ok as long as the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body. However minor the attackers holding off might be in this case, technical,y, whilst doing his turn and shielding, his arm, has held off the defender. Its not for me a stonewaller as advertised. I think 5 would give the pen, 3 would give nothing, and 2 would give fk to defender (safety first refereeing), so, imo, all three actions can be supported and its really one to leave to that particular referees discretion. VAR intervention might have been interesting!

Back