A&H

Brentford v QPR

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I am bad when it comes to finding videos of incidents so please forgive me.

Was watching this game yesterday, as a Brentford fan, and thought there some strange decisions from the referee.

First, I have to say, Brentford were very fortunate to end the game with 11 men.
Through ball, Mads Sorenson shoulders the forward in the back to the ground who otherwise had the beating of him and had a very good chance for a shot at goal and he gives the free kick, not penalty (correct decision on replays) but only a yellow card. For me it was a very clear DOGSO.

There was an incident with a QPR player already on a yellow in the first half too where he fouled Ivan Toney that I felt was a free kick, and was reckless too, and would have seen him get a 2nd yellow. Think this was before the incident above. Maybe that was in his mind, but at that level he should be ignoring these things in his decision making. No free kick given. But these can easily be missed at all levels too. Its the ones like my first one above that strikes me as odd.

Some fouls given too that I felt were incorrect, and given wrong way. One springs to mind as typing was Ivan Toney jumping for the ball, the QPR midfielder stands there and backs slightly into Toney and he falls down in a heap. But QPR got the foul.
A throw in, right in front of the assistant, clearly comes off a QPR player, given to QPR. Then a few minutes later that same assistant does it reversed - did he too have that on his conscious that he messed up just moments earlier?

Wasn't going to mention Mark Warburtons post match interview, but I changed my mind. He always goes on about the same thing each week, about doing things right and will improve etc etc whatever the result. But last night he moaned about the referees, and even accused Brentford of having 200 fans in the ground to deflect from his own team.

The Referee Store
The only thing that stood out for me was the QPR red card. High with contact at groin/upper thigh region, and missing the ball entirely.

A little surprised at it being yellow, rather than straight red which makes me nobody had neither referee or fourth official had a decent angle on it. Granted the outcome was the same, it being a second caution accepted with minimal argument, but I wonder what observer would’ve made of it.

Video may be geoblocked

Yes, the situation at 38' looks red to me!

On the second caution, I think there is enough mitigation to bring it back from red in that he bends his leg and seems to try to pull out. Hard for him to be whining about the yellow though!

Thought the DOGSO was pretty clear, struggling to think why it wasn't given. As for the 200, you have to admit Ladbroke the cheers for the goals were pretty loud for a bench - maybe you just have a lot of staff on duty for these games! :rolleyes: :p

Its not a fans website so lest not go there, but over on 'my other' site plenty of moans about yellows not given to Brentford players.

As for MW, I DO agree to an extent - same as Klopp last night - they draw with Brighton - could easily have lost - so he talks about..........5 subs!

Was put in mind of the UEFA referee programme where the psychologist called it 'Random attribution' theory.

Managers will find some external random reason for a defeat or poor performance because the 'random' issue - the referee for example - is a) out of their control, so not their fault and b) won't be the same next week - unlike themselves or the players who will be there next week, so not a good idea to say we/they were poor.

Thought the DOGSO was pretty clear, struggling to think why it wasn't given. As for the 200, you have to admit Ladbroke the cheers for the goals were pretty loud for a bench - maybe you just have a lot of staff on duty for these games! :rolleyes: :p

Its not a fans website so lest not go there, but over on 'my other' site plenty of moans about yellows not given to Brentford players.

As for MW, I DO agree to an extent - same as Klopp last night - they draw with Brighton - could easily have lost - so he talks about..........5 subs!

Was put in mind of the UEFA referee programme where the psychologist called it 'Random attribution' theory.

Managers will find some external random reason for a defeat or poor performance because the 'random' issue - the referee for example - is a) out of their control, so not their fault and b) won't be the same next week - unlike themselves or the players who will be there next week, so not a good idea to say we/they were poor.
I'd love to know the evidence of 200 fans.
Considering the club would likely have staff in for security, hospitality to both home and away guests etc... very plausible its staff but 200 sounds extravagant.

I saw the interview before I saw the highlights (Don't have Sky) and thought it sounded like sour grapes, but then on the highlights the cheers WERE pretty loud. I get access to most QPR home and away games since the games have been played behind closed doors and they were certainly the loudest 'real' cheers I've heard for any goals.

On a general point, from a footballing viewpoint, I still think its unfair that some clubs will be allowed fans and some not - totally understand why of course. Hope you're keeping well btw.

I saw the interview before I saw the highlights (Don't have Sky) and thought it sounded like sour grapes, but then on the highlights the cheers WERE pretty loud. I get access to most QPR home and away games since the games have been played behind closed doors and they were certainly the loudest 'real' cheers I've heard for any goals.

On a general point, from a footballing viewpoint, I still think its unfair that some clubs will be allowed fans and some not - totally understand why of course. Hope you're keeping well btw.
It could just be the location of mics.

I did think its a bit weird about differing tiers meaning a team can or can not have fans in. So our next game at home to Blackburn I think we can, but when we travel away to Nottingham Forest we can't.

And yeah I'm good. Doing games the past few weeks so keeping well in that respect. Hope you are well.

Back