A&H

BUPA and advantage

one

RefChat Addict
An attacker with the ball is carelessly fouled by a defender to breakup a promising attack. The ball goes to another attacker and the referee correctly plays advantage. Should the referee caution the offending player on the foul after the next stoppage in play?

The Referee Store
So there should have been a caution after the 3rd (90th minute) goal, Barca V Bayern ?

The argument against it is "has the defender actually broken up a promising attack"?

for me it depends, did the attacker 'manage' to sneak the pass in before being challenged (fouled) or was the attacker fouled but the ball happened to 'roll' onto a team partner to carry the attack on?

So there should have been a caution after the 3rd (90th minute) goal, Barca V Bayern ?
I thought so. There could've likely been 2-3 more cautions in that game, but the game also seemed to work without them.

The argument against it is "has the defender actually broken up a promising attack"?
There was a play at the London Olympics (women's side I think?) where a player in red tripped (end result was closer to "attempted to trip") an opponent in white to attempt to break up a 3 on 2 attack. The opponent managed to stumble through the trip, and as she finally fell 4-5 yards later, kicked the ball forward to a team-mate for a good chance on goal (no goal in this case). FIFA put this one in one of their match analysis things (women 2013 maybe?) and said that advantage good, caution player for attempting to break up a promising attack.

It should have been a yellow card as it was late and an attempt to break up the attack

Likewise Jake Livermore should have had a second yellow on Monday night for taking Ramsey out onn the edge of the area ....?

Im afraid Mr Taylor choose to ignore it ( bottled it ) as he gave yellows just before and after for similar fouls

In this sort of situation I usually look for intent. If it's genuinely careless - ie a player taking too little care accidentally 'breaks up a promising attack' - but advantage develops, then I see no need for a card, but I'll be warning the player to take more care, especially in that area of the field.

However, if it's a blatant attempt to break up a promising attack - ie an ultimately unsuccessful attempt at a tactical or 'professional' foul - then I'm still giving the caution regardless of outcome.

Back