A&H

Burnley v Watford Offside

Kieran W

What's everyone's thoughts on the offside given by Probert after consultation with the Assistant?

I think the Watford players make a deliberate attempt to play the ball which negates the offside so I think the goal should've stood

The Referee Store
I don't have a video clip to look at to refresh my recollection but I would say that from what I remember of seeing the incident earlier, it looked more like a deflection than a deliberate play. In the end though, it's a referee's judgement call. If you were the referee and you judged that the defender actually had deliberately played the ball then you wouldn't give the offside. Lee Probert apparently thought it was not a deliberate play by the defender.

The offside is at 4.35 (be warned, the vid has popup click adverts)

https://oload.stream/embed/u1fLA8u4zmE/BUR_WAT_MOTD.mp4.mp4

The issue is there are no definitions for deflections or rebounds in the LOTG and it comes down to the interpretation of the referee. The common interpretation is only a ‘controlled play’ by a defender resets offside, to put it in simple terms. Opportunity and game/skill level are also considered. A deliberate attempt that results in a touch is not enough.

I agree with the referee on this. The defender did not have a ‘controlled play’ on the ball. He did not have the opportunity to do so, no matter what his skill level was. The ball was kicked towards him at speed from close distance.

Any thoughts on the send-off at 2.00. Spot on for me.

Interesting points. From my point of view, the first Watford player makes the ball control, therefore, resetting the offside and then the second player plays the ball forward to the Burnley player. Another one of these 'interpretations' where you can have 100 referees and get 100 different explanations.

And a nailed on red card, no question.

Back