A&H

Burnley vs Wolves

The Referee Store
I was watching the game off and on (on vacation the next two weeks in the US, so I'm enjoying watching some afternoon games during my time off!!). I didn't really notice anything major from Mason. But I can certainly imagine that it's something of a conditioned response to think this about him.

The only thing I can think of is there was a half-hearted shout for a handball in the area against Burnley, but I thought the replay showed pretty clearly it wasn't handling. But there could have easily been something when I wasn't watching.

Burnley 2-1 Wolves: Nuno Espirito Santo says referee Lee Mason 'not good enough' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55405111

NES not holding back on Lee Mason.
Anyone who watched the game able to shine a light on his comments at all?
I watched the game. Harsh based on this one outing and his comments are mistimed because Wolves were abject and had nobody else to blame.
Indeed, they were somewhat fortunate to escape a VC/SFP
Year on year, Mason would be languishing on Club Marks! But on this day, 'sour grapes' and 'bad form' from Nuno

Last edited:
As a wolves fan, I didn’t really see anything in yesterday’s game.

It really isn’t like NES to speak out like this though, so perhaps there is history?

I am not sure about a ban for this, but I think managers should be able to voice their concerns about referees at this level, however, I don’t think this was done correctly, as was pretty disrespectful and didn’t really state why it was an issue.

It’s a difficult one - but I thought Mason had a good game on the whole!

I watched the game. Harsh based on this one outing and his comments are mistimed because Wolves were abject and had nobody else to blame.
Indeed, they were somewhat fortunate to escape a VC/SFP
Year on year, Mason would be languishing on Club Marks! But on this day, 'sour grapes' and 'bad form' from Nuno
I agree - Moutinho was a lucky boy not to walk!

As has been said, purely a case of his side lost so needs to pin the blame.

David Moyes did the same after the Chelsea -West Ham game whee barring one chance ruled out for a foul on Thiago Silva they were poor and deservedly beaten.

As has been said, purely a case of his side lost so needs to pin the blame.

David Moyes did the same after the Chelsea -West Ham game whee barring one chance ruled out for a foul on Thiago Silva they were poor and deservedly beaten.
I'd often agree and someone like Moyes does it constantly, but it seems unusual for NES and it seems they had previous complaints too. I certainly think there are better PL referees than Mason but I definitely don't think an individual team should be able to dictate referee appointments.

Two comments by him are easily dismissed

1) LM doesn't let the game flow 'like other referees' - Stats show only 2 referees award less fouls per PL game than him!
2) 'Players lose focus because they are disputing decisions' - Blimey I've heard coaches tell 13 year olds that pretty basic football no no. As we discussed on another thread at academy level they usually come down pretty hard on dissent as its rightly seen as a distraction and waste of energy.
Nonsense accusation that one.

As for the blame culture, it was was mentioned on one of those UEFA programmes by the sports psychologist. Humans use 'Random blame' as easier to accept something random caused the failure - ie the referee - rather than a constant - ie himself or the players.

The comment that got to me the most was when he said we seen the appointment before the game and were unhappy.
I’ve paraphrased but something along those lines. Thats a massive no for me

Two comments by him are easily dismissed

1) LM doesn't let the game flow 'like other referees' - Stats show only 2 referees award less fouls per PL game than him!
2) 'Players lose focus because they are disputing decisions' - Blimey I've heard coaches tell 13 year olds that pretty basic football no no. As we discussed on another thread at academy level they usually come down pretty hard on dissent as its rightly seen as a distraction and waste of energy.
Nonsense accusation that one.

As for the blame culture, it was was mentioned on one of those UEFA programmes by the sports psychologist. Humans use 'Random blame' as easier to accept something random caused the failure - ie the referee - rather than a constant - ie himself or the players.
I read a really interesting article in Scientific American this week. It was on about the level of blame involved WRT how the Governments have dealt with Covid (Almost all of them are at massive fault, apparently). We don't even notice how much we instantly seek out blame. Rarely do we stop to consider the impossible challenges faced by others when dishing out the stick.
As we (referees) are inevitable targets for it, it makes sense for us to expect blame and to warm to it. That way it won't escalate into something more nasty. It's an interesting subject

I’m fed up of it, to the point I’m thinking of binning it off completely.

I always expected the ‘abuse’ part to be the most difficult part of refereeing...thankfully I’ve not experienced any in the 18 months I’ve refereed, but the constant moaning and crying from grown men who simply don’t like the fact you’ve given a decision against them, has worn thread bare for me.

You all know the scenarios. Player commits a clear, blatant foul- you blow and they react as though you’ve just given them a parking ticket when legally parked. Hands on head, pleading their innocence. It’s pathetic.

Same the other way. Saturdays 2nd game and red slides in for a loose ball, nowhere near blue 6- no appeals. Ball breaks to reds who score. 5 seconds later I have 6 players, including keeper, surrounding me complaining I hadn’t given the foul. The appeal was so outrageous I was struggling to recall what they were referring to. Of course they didn’t REALLY think it was a foul, it was all a childish act because they see the players on telly do it. I’d ‘ruined a good game’ etc. The fact that blues were never within 2 goals of reds was irrelevant!

Saturdays 1st game and two early reckless challenges, man then ball slide tackle types, get the book out for both challenges and all I can hear is ‘oh put your cards away ref’. Unreal.

It’s a culture that I fear will never change. You’re just a nobhead to these people purely because you’ve got a black kit on. They’re entitled to take it out on you etc. Or have it in their heads getting on your case will buy them favour via influence. It’s only exacerbated by the fact the top level (professional football) seems happy to let it happen.

I lost my aunty to cancer Saturday morning but done my games as I didn’t want two fixtures to be cancelled last-minute and knew replacements would be impossible to find. What for? To feel even worse on the drive home because the doubt creeps in on your performance etc. It’s not worth losing my Saturday afternoons for me anymore.

The ref on the pitch next to me (county prem match) was getting terrible stick from all angles. All I seen were straightforward, correct decisions from him during the 10 mins I watched for. It’s grim.

Reactions: one
I’m fed up of it, to the point I’m thinking of binning it off completely.

I always expected the ‘abuse’ part to be the most difficult part of refereeing...thankfully I’ve not experienced any in the 18 months I’ve refereed, but the constant moaning and crying from grown men who simply don’t like the fact you’ve given a decision against them, has worn thread bare for me.

You all know the scenarios. Player commits a clear, blatant foul- you blow and they react as though you’ve just given them a parking ticket when legally parked. Hands on head, pleading their innocence. It’s pathetic.

Same the other way. Saturdays 2nd game and red slides in for a loose ball, nowhere near blue 6- no appeals. Ball breaks to reds who score. 5 seconds later I have 6 players, including keeper, surrounding me complaining I hadn’t given the foul. The appeal was so outrageous I was struggling to recall what they were referring to. Of course they didn’t REALLY think it was a foul, it was all a childish act because they see the players on telly do it. I’d ‘ruined a good game’ etc. The fact that blues were never within 2 goals of reds was irrelevant!

Saturdays 1st game and two early reckless challenges, man then ball slide tackle types, get the book out for both challenges and all I can hear is ‘oh put your cards away ref’. Unreal.

It’s a culture that I fear will never change. You’re just a nobhead to these people purely because you’ve got a black kit on. They’re entitled to take it out on you etc. Or have it in their heads getting on your case will buy them favour via influence. It’s only exacerbated by the fact the top level (professional football) seems happy to let it happen.

I lost my aunty to cancer Saturday morning but done my games as I didn’t want two fixtures to be cancelled last-minute and knew replacements would be impossible to find. What for? To feel even worse on the drive home because the doubt creeps in on your performance etc. It’s not worth losing my Saturday afternoons for me anymore.

The ref on the pitch next to me (county prem match) was getting terrible stick from all angles. All I seen were straightforward, correct decisions from him during the 10 mins I watched for. It’s grim.
Conversely Eddie... I'm not sure I'd bother if it wasn't for the constant wittering and occasional aggression. It's a real test of one's temperament, understanding of the game and mental focus
Without the racket and the harshness of it all, refereeing would be easy money; and what's the point in that? I think refereeing offers a unique opportunity for personal development and that's the best thing about it

Conversely Eddie... I'm not sure I'd bother if it wasn't for the constant wittering and occasional aggression. It's a real test of one's temperament, understanding of the game and mental focus
Without the racket and the harshness of it all, refereeing would be easy money; and what's the point in that? I think refereeing offers a unique opportunity for personal development and that's the best thing about it
Yeah I get the ‘challenge’ aspect of it, mate. The challenge of a hotly contested game, with proper (but fair) tackles and adults with mature temperaments playing, have been my favourites. That’s what I expected from open age football.

Unfortunately most games are played by entitled whiners who put more focus on trying to con you than they put on their own game. I feel more like a PE teacher than an official sometimes.

Someone mentioned a while ago on another thread about how back in the day refs gave as good as they got...vast majority of players don’t have the whit to be able to take it these days, so I imagine any decent retorts would likely be reported come Monday morning.

So a challenge is good. Players thinking they can treat you like a punching bag and use you as a scapegoat following a defeat isn’t. As I said it’s pathetic really.

Women’s football is an absolute dream to ref in my experience purely because they’re adults. They foul someone and accept that they’ve committed an offence and get on with it. They’re fouled and they get on with it, without spending the next 2 mins crying and whining about it.

Yeah I get the ‘challenge’ aspect of it, mate. The challenge of a hotly contested game, with proper (but fair) tackles and adults with mature temperaments playing, have been my favourites. That’s what I expected from open age football.

Unfortunately most games are played by entitled whiners who put more focus on trying to con you than they put on their own game. I feel more like a PE teacher than an official sometimes.

Someone mentioned a while ago on another thread about how back in the day refs gave as good as they got...vast majority of players don’t have the whit to be able to take it these days, so I imagine any decent retorts would likely be reported come Monday morning.

So a challenge is good. Players thinking they can treat you like a punching bag and use you as a scapegoat following a defeat isn’t. As I said it’s pathetic really.

Women’s football is an absolute dream to ref in my experience purely because they’re adults. They foul someone and accept that they’ve committed an offence and get on with it. They’re fouled and they get on with it, without spending the next 2 mins crying and whining about it.
OK, I understand. It would be unusual for us to be far apart
I don't mind the immature majority, just like I don't mind the occasional thug
I've never tried Women's football. My instinct is that I wouldn't be able to make the adjustment. As some may have noticed on the forum, I'm too loose with the things that I say
Pretty sure I'm happier doing occasional youth games. Time will tell

I don't rate Mason as a Referee in all honesty but he didn't have a particularly bad game yesterday. Nuno is just making excuses/deflecting as our performances have been below par for a while now and I say that as a Wolves fan.

There's a lot of ignorance out there and that comes down to spectators & players not actually understanding the LOTG. Obviously we do and so that informs our judgements when watching our colleagues on the pitch but so many people cast opinions on social media and elsewhere without having the first idea of what goes into refereeing a match. I guess you just have to take that into account and not let it get to you too much.

There's a lot of ignorance out there and that comes down to spectators & players not actually understanding the LOTG. Obviously we do and so that informs our judgements when watching our colleagues on the pitch but so many people cast opinions on social media and elsewhere without having the first idea of what goes into refereeing a match. I guess you just have to take that into account and not let it get to you too much.
There is, that’s undeniable. Find myself explaining handballs and offsides constantly since the latest round of law adjustments.

I’ve assisted for the referee I was referring to and know he’s very good. There was a point where the keeper was screaming at him non-stop for about 30 seconds over a high foot, which he correctly gave. The keeper felt because the AR hadn’t flagged for it, the ref shouldn’t have given it (more ignorance around how officials operate). I would’ve sin-binned personally but then you’d get his line and teammates expressing their outrage for giving a C2, undoubtably effecting match control...it was lose-lose.

Ultimately you’re spot-on. You’ve just got to accept that this is the game and try not to let it ‘stick’, but as I’ve mentioned I’m finding that more difficult lately. I can feel myself bubbling inside with the antics of some of the players and it won’t lead to anything good!

The fact I have sympathy for Lee Mason says a lot about where I am at the moment 😂

There is, that’s undeniable. Find myself explaining handballs and offsides constantly since the latest round of law adjustments.

I’ve assisted for the referee I was referring to and know he’s very good. There was a point where the keeper was screaming at him non-stop for about 30 seconds over a high foot, which he correctly gave. The keeper felt because the AR hadn’t flagged for it, the ref shouldn’t have given it (more ignorance around how officials operate). I would’ve sin-binned personally but then you’d get his line and teammates expressing their outrage for giving a C2, undoubtably effecting match control...it was lose-lose.

Ultimately you’re spot-on. You’ve just got to accept that this is the game and try not to let it ‘stick’, but as I’ve mentioned I’m finding that more difficult lately. I can feel myself bubbling inside with the antics of some of the players and it won’t lead to anything good!

The fact I have sympathy for Lee Mason says a lot about where I am at the moment 😂
One thing we can't do, but all do, is get annoyed :rage:

Back