A&H

Busy time - Manager spoils last game

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
4 matches in 6 days, another one tomorrow making 5 in 8 - all different competitions as well which is good.

AR (Last minute replacement) last night on U23 game.

Young referee 5 (Going for 4) had a good half I thought. Home team 2 up - 1 from a (to me, but not in my half) nailed on pen, and 1 after a challenge on GK ( Again from my view no foul on GK)

Half time - manager approaches us as we walk off 'You're having a shocker ref, never a pen and that was a foul on goalkeeper. I saw you on Sunday and you were poor then as well'

What can you say to that, ref went with 'Thanks for that. Both teams and assessor seemed happy with me last Sunday'

Manager replied 'You were poor to me'

Game finished 2-0 - obviously no hand shakes from away management and only a few players.

Referee said afterwards he didn't really enjoy game - no major incidents, but lots of moaning from the away team.

These evening games are not local in this league both referee and myself did close on 2 1/2 hours travelling to get there and back - but no one ever gives that a thought I bet!

The Referee Store
He's just trying to undermine you, they actually think they can intimidate you into giving them decisions. All you can do is ignore them, although I might have been tempted to tell him not to go back into the technical area in the second half.

I had similar as I left a contrib ground a few years ago. The away manager was leaving to get onto the coach at the same time, as were players and supporters, and he said "hope you have a better game tomorrow ref", clearly implying that I was a Sunday League referee. As luck would have it, I did have a game the following day, a Women's Super League game televised live. My response of "thanks for that, it's live on BT Sport at 2pm if you want to watch it", funnily enough didn't get a response.

Cracking risposte RR, you're right too, its mind games to try and influence decisions, some managers are great and it ends on 90 minutes and others are complete kn0b jockeys and you think you've pinched his grandma!!! Mixed bag for me, strangely I still have half a dozen on my FB and were always having a bit of crack with some TV decisions!!

He's just trying to undermine you, they actually think they can intimidate you into giving them decisions. All you can do is ignore them, although I might have been tempted to tell him not to go back into the technical area in the second half.

I had similar as I left a contrib ground a few years ago. The away manager was leaving to get onto the coach at the same time, as were players and supporters, and he said "hope you have a better game tomorrow ref", clearly implying that I was a Sunday League referee. As luck would have it, I did have a game the following day, a Women's Super League game televised live. My response of "thanks for that, it's live on BT Sport at 2pm if you want to watch it", funnily enough didn't get a response.

Cheers Rusty.

Ref did well 2nd half but it did spoil his enjoyment of the game. He was a young referee as I said and had just returned to playing after giving up to get to level 5. If he gets too many more managers like that, I can see him giving up the refereeing, which would be a shame as in my opinion he was a good ref.

@PinnerPaul told you Joe was a good ref! I speak to him often and he appears disillusioned with it all. He's the sort of referee who thinks a lot like a player, thus keeping match control without really making any controversial decisions. He's never really had any proper moans from managers, only a couple of mass confrontations and I think he's just shocked by how bad football can be to a referee.

If he keeps his head, shows perseverance with it and thinks more like a referee, I think he'll go far.

Back