A&H

Buzzer flags OR comms kits

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I'm looking to buy either buzzer flags or comms kits, I know I can get comms for just over £200 but does anyone know where I can get buzzer flags or comms sets for less. I have a budget of:
Flags - £175
Comms - £215

I only want one of them as I can't really justify both currently so if anyone has either they need to sell just leave a reply.

The Referee Store
I have matches.in my school where I have assistants and will be officiating in Swansea City academy matches this year where there will also be assistants present so will come in quite handy for me

I'm with Dan, buzzer flags are for contrib and up. As handy as they might be, it'll be better for your development to work without them.

no point, you need to develop without them otherwise you get lazy and don't look for flags and will honestly never get anywhere in refereeing.
not only that you then put pressure on your assistants with them and thats not fair on them.
more than likely you will get torn apart at every game until you get to contrib and above and thats not just by players and managers. im talking other refs and assessors.

sorry to be so harsh but i was like you this time last year and it took a shooting down to make me realise i was being silly :D

Can I just let you know i'm never going to do contrib, I'm based in S Wales and my refs society is looking to send me on development so I could jump a few levels quite quickly and then they could come in handy and I would tell assistants only to buzz after 2-3 seconds if I haven't spotted the flag, I tend to look anyway to see when I do have assistants to see, I also get all the fiesty matches so if I do have NAR sometimes having the buzzer is handy if it all kicks off behind my back so I can intervene quicker. I probably don't need them but would be quite handy if i get quick promotions

You may get lucky on eBay. I've seen some refs call flags go for £100 or so. May even get lucky and find some ervocoms within budget

Thanks Ross, although Ervocom are an excellent brand I want to stay within my £175 if possible (Excluding Postage, my parents are covering postage) there's also 3 days left on the Ervo's so they're bound to go up in price. Refscall are probably my best chance at staying within budget

I know, I've got a top secret plan on how to get them cheaper as well.

Aled, if you are looking to get onto the Development Group DO NOT get buzzers / comms! In Wales, you are only allowed to use a comms kit in the Welsh Premier League / Word Cup / Welsh Cup. Although some Welsh Premier referees' use them in other matches, strictly speaking, from my understanding they are not ment too.

Whilst using buzzers can be a great help, diving straight into them will only make you a weaker referee as you won't know how to communicate with your assistants. It can also make you look like a 'jobsworth'. I can guarantee you that only a few on the Development Group have buzzer flags and not a single one will have a comms kit.

The general rule with comms kit is to wait untill you are given one! Buzzers are up to you, however I would wait a couple of seasons myself. Some referees' don't use them untill they are at the top.

Out of interest though, where can you geta comms set so cheeply?! :S

Refscomm sell a 3 man set for £200. Thanks for letting me know about comms kits, I know now NOT to buy them, I wasn't aware your not allowed comms until Welsh Prem level in Wales. What I might do is get flags at the start of next season once I know what is going on with regards to development or even this time next year but probably not at all for a few years.

Interesting, do you have a link to their website?

I don't wan't to sound negative or patronising, but spending sucha hefty amount of money on buzzers and comms kit at this stage of your refereeing career would be more of a hinderance, especially when there are occasionas where you would not be allowed to use them!

Brownie points for enthusiasm though :)

My understanding on Refscomm is that they are a distant third place to the competition.

No -- but as it happens I just used the mics for the first time tonight. Reallllly helpful, better than the signal beep.

Back