A&H

Can always find room for improvement

one

RefChat Addict
I had to handle a mass confrontation in a game my assessor gave very good feedback on and said he didn't think I could have done anything better in my handling of it. There was a fair bit of good team work with my AR1 in there as well, as we had two flash points at the same time. It was one of those "a caution each side" type incidents. On self reflection I am thinking there is at least one point I can improve on. When comparing notes, my AR2 (less experienced) had thought I only cautioned one player. A cautioned each side is something I have done many times before in a similar fashion. I talk to both players who I usually isolate and have them both in front of me (after everything is calm of course). Then caution the first player, lower the card slightly while turning to the second player then raise it to the second player. Now I am thinking I should lower the card further and keep it low for longer (and perhaps a couple of words to the second player at that time) before the second caution. It makes it clear to everyone both players are cautioned.

The Referee Store
Personally I'd be thinking
  • what did I say in my pre-match instructions and did I demonstrate any variance between what I said I would do and what I did, which led to this misunderstanding?
  • what could I have done to prevent against escalation by initiator or retaliator?
  • could I have taken any pre-emptive action, for example involving the captain, which may have de-escalated the tempo?
  • what clues did I miss that indicated there was a possibility of an escalation?
  • when it occurred was there anything that could be improved in my position or that of my team and can I adjust my pre-match instructions to improve effectiveness next time?
Once I'd thought about those things, then I might have wondered whether the angle I lower my card to on a double caution was sufficiently below horizontal.
#justsaying

Thanks Brian. All good points and considered. Didn't want to make it a very long post. In fact your point two is the most important one for me and the fist question I always ask myself and the answer was no in this case even with hindsight. Questions about prevention always come first. There were some other considerations on this one as well because there were two simultaneous hot spots about 15 meters away from each other and team work was critical. I had to make a decision on attending the smaller one while my AR was on the bigger one for a short while which also turned out to be the correct decision.

The title kind of implies that I was pretty happy with all the common player/game management aspects of of it and was looking for something to improve on.

can you tell me why you decided to deal with what you decided was the lessser incident and leave the biggie.to your a r
not having a go just asking

can you tell me why you decided to deal with what you decided was the lessser incident and leave the biggie.to your a r
not having a go just asking

Get ready for a long post.

Background: The incident was in the 85th minute with the home team chasing a one nil deficit. 4th playing 6th (12 team comp mid season) U20s (4XOA allowed). 1 yellow card in a hard but straight forward first half. The 10 minutes leading up to the incident was very tense and getting physical with 3 yellow cards in the 10 minutes, 1 SPA for away and 2 reckless for home. I also had a tame mass con on one of the reckless tackles but easy to control as nothing came of it. I have slowed the game down enough to make it more manageable/controllable but not too much to not make it unfair to home team and frustrate them. I am staying closer to play than usual to be able to get to any potential bad tackles fast. Junior AR, second year referee 16 YO. Senior AR 4th year ref 19 YO who did the previous U18 centre. I watched the second half and he did a decent job with good authority. My first time working with both. My Mass con instructions for them was not to get in the middle. Observe and note. I may get in the middle and I want them to note anything I may miss. Nothing about double mas cons.

The incident: Home team attacking. Home centre back has the ball 5 yards in his own half 20 yards from touchline on TA side. Away striker closing in on him. I am 10 yards away from him, in front of him but slightly to his left. Majority of players are behind me where he is expected to pass or cross the ball. Home centre back kicks it to to his right winger and the away striker makes contact with him. The contact was careless (nowhere near reckless) but it was a little late and put the centre back off balance who fell to the ground. I blow straight way and keep a close eye for reactions and sure enough the centre back gets up and squares up with the striker. I and 2-3 nearby players (both sides) start running in. As I am running in I hear some noises behind me I turn back and see two players squaring up about 15 meters behind me about 5 from the touchline near my AR1, multiple players running at them and my AR is already on the field getting to them. I have a quick look at the tech areas and they are still seated. I had to make a quick judgement call. I had two options really. Manage the 4-5 in front of me and leave the 10-12 to the AR and get to it as soon as I can. Or leave the 4-5 to themselves hoping it doesn't escalate and get to the 10-12. Either option could have gone wrong. From what I had seen of AR1 so far and the state of the game indicating the 5-4 in front of me has every chance of escalating, I decided with option 1.

So I got to the centre back and striker, the players running to that saw me and luckily slowed down. A gentle outwardly push on the two to separate them and asked their team mates to keep them apart. It took 10 seconds or so for me to get to the bigger incident. The AR was doing a decent job of deescalating but there was still a fair bit of handbags happening which was managed fairly easily with both of us in there. We both walked 'backwards' to isolation for a chat on the touchline, 'away'ed' players who waked close to ears drop. His said it started with a verbal from a home player saying 'dirty team' and response from the opponents and all handbags from there. He didn't think there was a yellow in it. I told him it is a caution each side and asked him the number for the two who started it, A8, and H12. There rest is in the OP.

Just to give more context. A8 was send off for a second yellow 3 minutes later after a reckless challenge. No complaints were made on that decision/incident by either side. The game ended up 0-1.

Not all my player/game management incidents turn out to be as the way I was happy with this one. The point of the OP was that as happy as I was with the handling of it, there were still things I could have done better. I found one and with above description others probably can find more.

🙏is he done yet ?
Not sure Daz, he's had the Spidey senses on max, 3 yellows in 10 mins, a late challenge and it then kicks off. He charges towards incident and puts hands on players, then doubles back to check on his AR to see him getting involved with another group. He ignores his AR's advice, cautions a couple of hangbaggers and then let's the late challenger off with nothing. I'm not sure where to start and I wasn't even at the game. But he's more concerned about the angle he lowers his card to when issuing 2 yellows to a couple of handbaggers...

Not sure Daz, he's had the Spidey senses on max, 3 yellows in 10 mins, a late challenge and it then kicks off. He charges towards incident and puts hands on players, then doubles back to check on his AR to see him getting involved with another group. He ignores his AR's advice, cautions a couple of hangbaggers and then let's the late challenger off with nothing. I'm not sure where to start and I wasn't even at the game. But he's more concerned about the angle he lowers his card to when issuing 2 yellows to a couple of handbaggers...

Thanks for the positive and constructive advice. Really appreciate the help.

Thanks for the positive and constructive advice. Really appreciate the help.

You had @Mintyref ready and waiting in our former dependancy last week and you failed to take him up on his offer of free game tutoring just for some amber nectar and a few vegimite sandwiches.... Don't come all asking questionary now......:angel:

Reactions: one
In my experience of quite a few dust ups I found my size and shirt stood me in good stead in preventing escalation. That said it’s not healthy sometimes to put yourself in harms way. All bar once I controlled ,in that one 22 members in here acting as assistants wouldn’t have helped!

Brian you are obviously an experienced observer and you can give good advice evident by your past posts.

If you want to improve the quality of your advice, make "helping the referee to improve" your primary reason for giving advice.

Your first post was sound advice. Your second ... no point going there.

Brian you are obviously an experienced observer and you can give good advice evident by your past posts.
Thanks
If you want to improve the quality of your advice, make "helping the referee to improve" your primary reason for giving advice.
Thanks
Your first post was sound advice. Your second ... no point going there.
Oh I thought it hit the target. If you can't laugh when refereeing you may as well give it up. Taking it too seriously only leads to anxiety which can impact on performance ad infinitum.

Smile it might never happen.

In my experience of quite a few dust ups I found my size and shirt stood me in good stead in preventing escalation. That said it’s not healthy sometimes to put yourself in harms way. All bar once I controlled ,in that one 22 members in here acting as assistants wouldn’t have helped!

If people want to get into handbags and throw punches, just let them I say. If anything kicks off I’m never getting in the mix. Taking a few steps backs and opening up the viewing angle should be priority IMO.

If people want to get into handbags and throw punches, just let them I say. If anything kicks off I’m never getting in the mix. Taking a few steps backs and opening up the viewing angle should be priority IMO.
Agree, and on that one I certainly did, most of the others though were 1 v 1 and I was big enough and daft enough to block / hold / just something to prevent worse until players stepped in to help.

Back