A&H

Can I have some advice?

Charlie Smith

Newly qualified referee
Level 9 Referee
I'm a newly qualified ref (and new member to the site) and I am yet to get the first of the six compulsory initial matches under my belt, the chairman of the club I play for has tried to get me a game but I was regretfully unavailable, any advice on how to quickly get these 6 games done so I can get into refereeing in the leagues? Thanks:)

The Referee Store
Firstly welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of friendly like minded people here and plenty of good advice.

You don't need to do your 6 games before you can start in the leagues, you can do league games as part of all of your 6.

Speak to various ref's sec's for the different leagues you want to ref in and let them know you're available. Certainly speak to more than one, until you get going and they get used to you you will only get odd games so spinning a few plates means you can end up with a game most of the time you want it.

The other advantage to doing a few leagues and keeping your options open means if you find you don't like a particular league for some reason you haven't put all your eggs in one basket.

Find out what leagues kick off when and approach the refs secs for the leagues that kick off at the times you are generally available most weeks.Remember you'll need to be there an hour before though.

Finally if you're insistent in getting through the 6 quickly do youth stuff that's say 20 mins one way (just make sure offside is in play or it won't count), and you can do two or 3 of those games in one day, so maybe two weeks.

I personally wouldn't recommend that though, take the 6 games as a real learning curve rather than something you just want to get done as soon as you can, no matter how tempting it may be.....

Brilliant help, thanks 'regalref'. good to know there is somewhere to go with all enquiries and questions about refereeing :)

Hi Charlie, remember you won't necessarily have your module 5 until you've done 10-15-20-25 games anyway unless your county is super organised so don't worry

In truth (I was like you, I could t wait to get it done!) It doesn't matter one iota if you've done your mod 5 very quick or not, you'll be Reffing the same games in the same way in the same leagues, 6 games or not

Best advice is get a league you like who have regularly games for you and just crack on. You'll be amazed how quick 6 games fly by!

If you go to your county FA website they should have names of all leagues affiliated to county. Google names of leagues and they will have ref sec contact number or email for each league on their website

Send them an email and you'll be amazed how quick you get up and running and how truly helpful most ref secs are! A lot of them will act as a mentor to you as well if they know you are a new ref. Just let the ref sec know you are level 9 currently and awaiting module five

Best of luck
HF

Great help again HertsFinest, thanks, emailed some ref secs so just got to wait until after Christmas when they're back at work!:D

Great help again HertsFinest, thanks, emailed some ref secs so just got to wait until after Christmas when they're back at work!:D

Youll find most of them are just normal blokes who have emails on their phone and do it as a hobby. You may well get a response a lot earlier so you are ready to ref the first set of games after the new year :)

Just get your name around like the others have said. I got my 6 games done in about 10 days as by the time I did my module 5 and done nearly 15 and my module 5 was only a few weeks after the course!

Back