A&H

Cardiff Newcastle

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
First off, i've never rated Pawson
He doesn't look the part and always looks uncertain
He guessed at a yellow card for Ritchie after just a few minutes and spent the afternoon undoing mistakes
Kenedy will get 3 games retrospective for an offence right under Pawson's nose and Hayden will get his red overturned. Two other claims for red against Cardiff players only had merit because of the Hayden error.
Good example of how mistakes breed mistakes. Mr P redeemed himself with a pen decision that UEFA/FIFA would have drooled over, but the Kenedy repayed the ref for still being on the field

The Referee Store
I don't think the red card will be overturned, my immediate reaction was red and I was even more sure having seen the replay. That was a terrible challenge, no attempt to get the ball and his studs were way higher than they should have been in challenging for the ball (that was on the floor).

No idea how all four of the officials missed the Kenedy kick out though.

Having looked some of the incidents up;

Hayden red was spot on. Kennedy miss was bad.

Penalty was a great decision.

Having looked some of the incidents up;

Hayden red was spot on. Kennedy miss was bad.

Penalty was a great decision.
Forget slow motion replays. They are very misleading. The graze down the back of the calf will be nothing worse than that. If you class that as brutality in real time, then you have to give 4 red cards for SFP in that game. Kenedy, yes, the others, reckless, move on, nobody says a word
I was sat among Cardiff fans and we were all aghast at Mr P
He's weak. The top flight is looking a bit weak tbh even tho i'm a big Oliver fan

Forget slow motion replays. They are very misleading. The graze down the back of the calf will be nothing worse than that. If you class that as brutality in real time, then you have to give 4 red cards for SFP in that game. Kenedy, yes, the others, reckless, move on, nobody says a word
I was sat among Cardiff fans and we were all aghast at Mr P
He's weak. The top flight is looking a bit weak tbh even tho i'm a big Oliver fan

Think you need to take the tinted glasses off. He went for the player not the ball, and caught him full on the back of the leg much higher than a natural challenge for the ball would have made contact had it gone wrong.

It was a clear red card and a very good decision by Craig Pawson.

Think you need to take the tinted glasses off. He went for the player not the ball, and caught him full on the back of the leg much higher than a natural challenge for the ball would have made contact had it gone wrong.

It was a clear red card and a very good decision by Craig Pawson.
Whilst it is difficult being a ref and a fan, I fancy i can remain impartial more than most. Mr P guessed at a yellow very early and guessed wrong. He looked uncertain throughout. I know the PMGOL refs have superb stats which they don't publicise, but this was littered with errors. He stopped a bad game at every opportunity and missed Kenedy lash out when perfectly placed. He'd have known his mistake at half time and went on to compound it. Again uncertain, i thought he'd gone to his pocket to C3 Hayden, but he delayed, assessed injury and produced the red much to the glee of my new Cardiff drinking mates. Mr P balanced the books from the first half in the absence of any player appeal. WalesOnline quoted, 'harsh'. Northern rags stating 'Horrendous throughout' (unsurprisingly)
Trouble is, even if i'm wrong, the bar has been set and two subsequent CFC tackles have to get the same treatment. For me, Arta was man of a referee interrupted match, but his tackle on Joselu was much worse than Hayden's recklessness
Sometimes you look at a referree's all round game and think, 'there must be better quality out there than this'

Even if you ignore the studs into the calf, that was exactly the type of challenge from behind that was stamped out of the game in the late 90s. They've become rare enough now that I guess people forget just how harsh the punishment should be on it.

Whilst it is difficult being a ref and a fan, I fancy i can remain impartial more than most. Mr P guessed at a yellow very early and guessed wrong. He looked uncertain throughout. I know the PMGOL refs have superb stats which they don't publicise, but this was littered with errors. He stopped a bad game at every opportunity and missed Kenedy lash out when perfectly placed. He'd have known his mistake at half time and went on to compound it. Again uncertain, i thought he'd gone to his pocket to C3 Hayden, but he delayed, assessed injury and produced the red much to the glee of my new Cardiff drinking mates. Mr P balanced the books from the first half in the absence of any player appeal. WalesOnline quoted, 'harsh'. Northern rags stating 'Horrendous throughout' (unsurprisingly)
Trouble is, even if i'm wrong, the bar has been set and two subsequent CFC tackles have to get the same treatment. For me, Arta was man of a referee interrupted match, but his tackle on Joselu was much worse than Hayden's recklessness
Sometimes you look at a referree's all round game and think, 'there must be better quality out there than this'

Honestly, quit the fan stuff, it isn't making you look too clever at all. There will not be many referees out there who thought that was wrong or even harsh.

I'm a referee observer at a decent level and aside from missing the Kenedy challenge, which he will be annoyed about, Pawson didn't get much wrong in this game. It certainly wasn't littered with errors as you claim.

Even if you ignore the studs into the calf, that was exactly the type of challenge from behind that was stamped out of the game in the late 90s. They've become rare enough now that I guess people forget just how harsh the punishment should be on it.

Agree, thats a talking to in the 90's!!

@Big Cat honestly mate, the expectation here is red. I said real time, oh, this could be red. I have yet to see a replay or alternative angle to suggest otherwise. Might I suggest that you review your threshold for what constitutes serious foul play - and challenges such as this be included within that bracket?

Someone must have said something to Pawson though to convince him. Watch tonight on motd, his hand is in the yellow pocket, he then checks the player needs medical assessment pulling the red from the other pocket. Either that or he gave himself thinking time to arrive at the correct decision. Smart refereeing, if so.

On Kenedy - can we get retrospective action here? He gave a free kick for it, eventually. So how does he say he didn't see it?

@Big Cat honestly mate, the expectation here is red. I said real time, oh, this could be red. I have yet to see a replay or alternative angle to suggest otherwise. Might I suggest that you review your threshold for what constitutes serious foul play - and challenges such as this be included within that bracket?

Someone must have said something to Pawson though to convince him. Watch tonight on motd, his hand is in the yellow pocket, he then checks the player needs medical assessment pulling the red from the other pocket. Either that or he gave himself thinking time to arrive at the correct decision. Smart refereeing, if so.

On Kenedy - can we get retrospective action here? He gave a free kick for it, eventually. So how does he say he didn't see it?
Thanks James, a balanced reply
However, whilst i put this out there to test my blinkered view, i'm not really the one focused on the Hayden challenge
Cwyeary will always back the ref , but i accept the rest of you must be right
However, If Hayden goes, Arta has to go. That's two KMI's wrong. And as James said, Mr P had a change of mind on the Hayden foul, so arguably 3.
Ritchie was booked after two minutes on a guess
Rusty, 2 KMI's is a bad day and even the Welsh press weren't impressed

Last edited:
Thanks James, a balanced reply
However, whilst i put this out there to test my blinkered view, i'm not really the one focused on the Hayden challenge
Cwyeary will always back the ref , but i accept the rest of you must be right
However, i'm not the one focused on pne decision. If Hayden goes, Arta has to go. That's two KMI's wrong. And as James said, Mr P had a change of mind on the Hayden foul, so arguably 3
Ritchie was booked after two minutes on a guess
Rusty, 2 KMI's is a bad day and even the Welsh press weren't impressed
Arter one was a light shade of orange for me. Really on the very edge of excessive and endangering. It wasnt particularly forceful so I think I would back the ref here, just. But I accept your view on it too and had the ref decided a red card I think i could have backed him also.

All about opinions

Back