A&H

Cards

banker123

Hello Guys...

I've just looked on my Whole Game System and calculated Yellows and Reds so far this season. I came across rather odd numbers.

Yellows: 55
Reds: 22

I referee 6 times a week and 3 out of the 5 being men games!

The Referee Store
In 10 games in the middle so far this season I have given 36 yellows and 5 reds.

6 times a week? I'm knackered just thinking about that number of games! :eek:

Never have or ever will come close to doing that number of games, but have been thinking about some of my carding numbers recently and one age group immediately springs to mind. Showed 4 Y's in the whole of last season @ u14 level, this season @ u15 (same group of players being a year older) shown 5 cards (1R/4Y) in the last 3 games! Think it's a mixture of my tolerance levels being lowered and an increase in the physicality and attitude of that age group.

but have been thinking about some of my carding numbers

Personally, only started tracking it this season. Think my average is around 2-3 yellows a game, which is okay. Penalties on the other hand? :wall: I've given 9 in 12, which included a wonderful 5 game streak of penalties. I guess the other refs don't pull up pushing/holding from corners as much as I do.

I once gave 4 pens in one match, all 4 were stick ons with very little moaning...Quite a low standard of defending TBF and some of the defenders were walking penalties.... Never kept records of pens but I did keep records of goals scored and it tended to be home teams score more than away teams, just. Card count improved with experience and reputation....

I've been in the middle 26 times this season, with 13 cautions and 3 red.

Of those reds - none were for tackles or 2nd cautions.
1 was for racial abuse
2 for foul and abusive language (1 aimed at an opponent and the other aimed at my assistant for "being blind" when he felt the ball went over the line. Funny thing is, the assistant (club assistant) was trying to tell me, between the abuse he was receiving, that the ball crossed the line!).

Of my cautions, 4 were in one match and had 3 where 2 were given.

19 games where no cards were given. That's 73% of my games without a card. I think that's very good.

I've been in the middle 26 times this season, with 13 cautions and 3 red.

Of those reds - none were for tackles or 2nd cautions.
1 was for racial abuse
2 for foul and abusive language (1 aimed at an opponent and the other aimed at my assistant for "being blind" when he felt the ball went over the line. Funny thing is, the assistant (club assistant) was trying to tell me, between the abuse he was receiving, that the ball crossed the line!).

Of my cautions, 4 were in one match and had 3 where 2 were given.

19 games where no cards were given. That's 73% of my games without a card. I think that's very good.
No, that's weird
Maybe not so weird if most of those are 13 and under... but if that's adult mens, that's nuts!

To be fair, in 45 full length 11-a-side middles last season I gave 83 YC and only 2 RC (one handled on the line, the other for two identical blatant reckless (and SPA) hacks a few minutes apart. I didn't have a VC, SFP, OFFINABUS, or racist incident when I was in the middle all season. Had 4 RCs in one game on the line though!

The average of YCs is bought down a bit because I had quite a few ladies and girls games with zero cards. Mens games, 3-5 cards is "normal" from where I have been standing.

So, I realise statistical anomalies can happen - and I also believe that ref attitude and being pro active can help with the silly stuff...

No, that's weird
Maybe not so weird if most of those are 13 and under... but if that's adult mens, that's nuts!

Of those, 3 games are 16 girls, and 1 16 boys, otherwise all 17 & 18 boys.

The league we I'm in uses the sin bin trial. Before each game, I talk to the players, giving them the same speech, telling them what i expect from them, and what they shall expect from me. If for any reason they cross my line they will get a warning, a chat with captain if needed, and finally a card. Normally reminding them of what was said and telling them why I've called them over. Generally works.
The game where i had 4 cautions was my only mens game. Local derby and was a bit feisty.

Are we being picky..

The actual wording is...
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
But I'm sure you knew what I meant.

You'll soon find that small details matter as a referee.. You may as well start off on the right footing before someone who matters in your career picks you up on it!! Good Luck!! :)

Damn this is interesting , what age are the players ? In 2 months almost of same rate of games (6 in a week) of 25 min halfes ref'ing u-13 and u-15 , we rarely use cards but i've only given two :p one of them being player offending own teammate.

Yeah, I agree with @santa sangria : 3-5 yellows per men's match is probably about right for me. My numbers are skewed by a single game in which I had 10 yellows, but apart form that, my average is only actually about 2.5 per game. I guess I've had a few zero or one card games as well, which keeps it below 3.

Back