A&H

Cautioned for scoring!

The Referee Store
Showing a lack of respect for the game

I see your question now...above is obviously for the caution. 2nd part of your question is intetesting and I don't have an immediate response!

The only way he can allow the goal to stand is if he did something after the goal was scored and caution for that. But I am sure he didn't do any thing except for being shoved by an opponent.

The problem for having an open ended USB list is that some referees can go too far with it. What next, caution for nut megging an opponent?

I would leave this to the coach/manager to take care of (which I think he did), if not done, take care of him in his next 'real' indiscretion but with a very low tolerance.

The referee has really caused himself a problem here. If he has cautioned the player for the delaying in scoring, and it looks like that is the case, he is totally incorrect in law. My reasoning being that the offence he is cautioning for happened before the goal was scored, therefore the outcome should have been no goal and an indirect defensive free kick.

I do wonder though, and perhaps hope, that something else happened not caught on the camera and the caution was actually for that.

Watching it, the referee clearly turns and starts to jog away once he scores.
He only turns back when a defender comes running from afar to push the scorer. Did the defender get booked for adopting an aggressive attitude - he did run about 20 yards plus to do what he did as he was not once in camera shot when he put ball into net.

And for those saying he should get a booking for not scoring quick enough, I'd it because he is time wasting and waiting for keeper or defender to chase him down?
I assume then that you'd book every keeper who keeps the ball at his feet at the end of the game waiting for an attacker to charge him down forcing him to pick it up only when attacker is close because to me this is the exact same thing, except the keeper is delaying getting the ball into play by not picking it up whilst the attacker is delaying getting the ball into play by not scoring. How many keepers stand over the ball with hands either side of it pretending to be picking it up but never do? Is that too worthy of a yellow card as that is the same as slowly taking the ball over the line. And what about keeping the ball in the corner?

All of those examples I gave, no one gets a card nor are the punished at all so why should he get a card for walking the ball into the net?

If you were going to card here it would be for unsporting conduct in taunting the opponents. And the goal would not stand. It would not be incorrect in law. But a question of judgment and expectations. (It cannot be time wasting--it is impossible to waste time with the ball in play.)

(I also think the caution to the attacker reduced his chance of injury in the rest of the game . . . )

. It would not be incorrect in law. But a question of judgment and expectations.

It would be, given that what you described equates to an offence committed by the team scoring the goal just prior to it. IMO of course 😉

Screenshot_20201208-124250.jpg

Edit: I think I may have misread yr post. In either case, allowing the goal would be incorrect in law if the caution was for an offence committed before the goal was scored.

Last edited:
It would be, given that what you described equates to an offence committed by the team scoring the goal just prior to it. IMO of course 😉

View attachment 4695

Edit: I think I may have misread yr post. In either case, allowing the goal would be incorrect in law if the caution was for an offence committed before the goal was scored.
Your edit is correct. I'm saying it would not be incorrect in law to caution, but if you caution for something that happens before the goal scores the goal does not count. We agree.

I once cautioned a player for USB after he was taunting a defender during play, he was laughing and the likes every time he dribbled past him...surprised the defender didn’t go through him! Anyway I done it at the next stoppage, which was seemingly incorrect.

No way I would’ve cautioned for the above though, it’s upto you how you score surely? A quiet word would suffice.

I'm sorry I just don't see grounds for cautioning here. Nor chalking off the goal to do so. No offence has been committed imo.

No offence has been committed. However, the referee isn't straight in there to caution - he does so after a delay. The fact he kept the card in hand rather than right back in the pocket tells me I think he cautions both.

Having checked the match report - 9 is booked so I assume are both are for what happened after the goal, even if the replay gets in the way!

Back