A&H

Ceremonial free kick

Zimmyman

A few games this year at ceremonial free kicks when I say on the whistle ! I’ve had defenders say to me ref we want a wall so
I say go on then what’s stopping you !
Question I feel they should make there wall first then I decide to push it back it it’s not 10 yards right or wrong can’t find anything about it in the good book

The Referee Store
I'm sure I've read that only the attacking team have the right to request that the required distance is enforced for a wall, but I can't find it anywhere.

As long as this scenario is definitely for a "ceremonial" free kick where we've mentioned it can be taken on the whistle, I would agree with letting them form their own wall. Then if a member of the attacking team has said about the distance then let's push it back the 10 yards.

I'm hoping someone else can add to this :D

If a defending team is willing to let me pace out a wall without getting in my way while doing it, I'm more than happy to go along with it! Most of the time it can be difficult to judge the 10 properly as you're having to divide your attention between the placement of the ball, moving players out the way so you can pace and arguments with those players that you're pushing them back too far.

It's personal preference really, but I don't think it's really worth kicking up a fuss over either way. You'll have bigger things to worry about it a match and insisting they form a wall so that you can push it back might come across overly-officious?

The defending team has no right to request anything at a free kick, given that they are the ones that have committed the offence - but there is a requirement that they be at least 10 yards away when the kick is taken. If they are being slow about retiring the required distance then it's part of the referees job in managing a ceremonial free kick, to ensure they comply with the law. If some of them wish to stand next to each other then as long as you ensure that they're 10 yards away, there's nothing to stop them doing that.

At the same time, I'm not a big fan of the notion that the attacking team has the right to demand anything of the referee either (and it's true that the laws make no mention of this). They're not in charge of managing the situation, the referee is. Very possibly they might make some comment if the other team is being slow to retreat but as I mentioned, once you've made it clear to everyone that it's to be ceremonial and "on the whistle" then it becomes incumbent on the referee to take care of enforcing the required distance anyway. Neither of the teams should be dictating to you what to do, you should be firmly in control of the entire situation as regards both teams.

Reactions: one
The defending team has no right to request anything at a free kick, given that they are the ones that have committed the offence - but there is a requirement that they be at least 10 yards away when the kick is taken. If they are being slow about retiring the required distance then it's part of the referees job in managing a ceremonial free kick, to ensure they comply with the law. If some of them wish to stand next to each other then as long as you ensure that they're 10 yards away, there's nothing to stop them doing that.

At the same time, I'm not a big fan of the notion that the attacking team has the right to demand anything of the referee either (and it's true that the laws make no mention of this). They're not in charge of managing the situation, the referee is. Very possibly they might make some comment if the other team is being slow to retreat but as I mentioned, once you've made it clear to everyone that it's to be ceremonial and "on the whistle" then it becomes incumbent on the referee to take care of enforcing the required distance anyway. Neither of the teams should be dictating to you what to do, you should be firmly in control of the entire situation as regards both teams.
Used quite like the looks on the attackers faces when they wanted me to pace out the ten yards........"no that's fine for me, away you go......."

Back