A&H

Chance to Reminisce

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
Currently over in Spain with one of my daughters and 2 grand kids where she attended a wedding 2 days ago and we were official babysitters. The groom is an ex-footballer and unbeknown to me some of his ex-team mates from my Saturday league were over too. They were champions for 1-2 seasons but the team broke up and some retired and some went elsewhere. Out for a drink last night in a sports bar in Villamartin with my family and one by one I spotted them with their spouses and some on one table. I went over and it was nice to reminisce with them over yellow cards and players behaviour etc. 2 of the 6 were walking cards, one for his chirp and one for his persistent fouls etc. It was good to talk off record and candidly about how they behaved from their point of view. We don't often see it from their side of the fence as referees as we believe in black and white decisions.

Totally unconnected but there was a current Sheff Wed player in the bar too,Jacob Butterfield, that famous he had to be pointed out to me!!! :angel:

Have any of you lot had not on duty moments with ex-foes!!!

The Referee Store
Yes the one I posted in March when boarding plane to Gran Can, we glanced at each other in a, oh its you, kinda look
All fine, then upon the trolley going down the aisle later, two cans Stella appear from behind, I turn round and its him, " thats for all the grief I caused you ref"

I of course accepted his offering although I did chirp back with, " for all the grief you caused me it will cost you a whole crate"

No but in my case playing in the same league for years different divisions & coming up against players season in season out to then face them second half of this season with a referee kit on was bizzare to say the least.

Most awkward / funny one was towards end of the season ref’d a team the CB says to me ref I recognise you from somewhere ( I knew exactly who he was i nearly took his leg off earlier in the season escaped with a yellow somehow) I said do ya..

10 mins later ref you put me 3ft up in the air earlier in the season.. I looked at him smiled & said damn you’ve remembered, he smiled & said no hard feelings I do recal you apologising.. I said nice one fella doesn’t mean you can return the compliment on me today.. ;)

Totally unconnected but there was a current Sheff Wed player in the bar too,Jacob Butterfield, that famous he had to be pointed out to me!!! :angel:

Glad you found him as he has been missing for us all season … :) Technically isn't a current Wednesday player as he was only on loan and has gone back to Derby.

A long time ago, but I once had a plumber turn up at my house that I had sent off not that long before. A bit awkward ...

Glad you found him as he has been missing for us all season … :) Technically isn't a current Wednesday player as he was only on loan and has gone back to Derby.

A long time ago, but I once had a plumber turn up at my house that I had sent off not that long before. A bit awkward ...
I've met a few footballers over the years and without exception they were all smaller in real life when you're stood aside them that what you expect... The only 'star' that completely was a giant was Ed China.... Hurt my neck talking to him!!! 6'8":confused:

I've met a few footballers over the years and without exception they were all smaller in real life when you're stood aside them that what you expect... The only 'star' that completely was a giant was Ed China.... Hurt my neck talking to him!!! 6'8":confused:

I get majorly star struck when bumping into celebs, my Mrs laughs at me I just kinda turn into a shrinking violet not that I’ve ever met anyone that famous.

I remember having a drunken slagging match with the old Bolton manager outside qpr once, very funny to my pals but I went a bit to far apparently.

Back