A&H

Channel 4 - 1966 World Cup Final

I have just finished watching C4's showing of the '66 World Cup Final in colour - anyone else see it? First time I've seen it. I wonder what the perception of the officials' performance was back in 1966. I suppose no one cared too much as we won but it certainly seemed quirky to me. One example, Alan Ball throws down the ball with force in an act of dissent. The ball springs into the air and as it comes down the referee decides to head it before trotting over to Ball and wagging his finger at him. Quite surreal to see in 2021.

The Referee Store
If you enjoyed that, have a look at West Germany v Uruguay in the quarter finals of the 1966 World Cup - English referee Jim Finney and the Metropolitan Police working in harmony . . .
After that have a look at the build up to kick off in the 1974 World Cup Final, with all the press photographers in the centre circle for the coin toss so they could decide which end to position themselves . . . then a delay because the usually efficient hosts had forgotten to put the corner flagposts in place . . . then a penalty awarded by English referee Jack Taylor in the second minute before any German player had touched the ball . . .

Back