A&H

Chelsea v Burnley

BCMilan

Anyone see this yesterday ? Burnley were clearly wasting time at the end (3 stoppages..2 x for cramp), and only 5 mins additional time added. Plus Burnley keeper booked for timewasting in 32nd minute.

Chelsea were really upset. I'm sure they'd be just as bad away from home, though. Where does the cheating start and stop ?

The Referee Store
fascinating topic. I really don't see it as cheating (I mean in General, I didn't see this match). It clearly a tactic and the referee has tools to manage.

Is walking to a throw in really that much different than passing back and forth in the defensive third or going to the corner? I know some feel really passionate about this topic but I personally don't - I think it's part of the drama when an underdog is leading or "stealing a point" to try to watch a "better" team breakthrough the 10 man deference and time wasting tactics - it has everyone on edge.

fascinating topic. I really don't see it as cheating (I mean in General, I didn't see this match). It clearly a tactic and the referee has tools to manage..

I don't think he used his tools in this one. By not adding even more time on, it plays into their hands...and teams will continue to do this. I also don't think the (supposedly) injured player should just be allowed to run straight back on, after leaving the field. He's either injured, or he isn't. I think the law should be that they should be left off the field for a while (well at least the following break in play). That way, they'd be less inclined to do it.

Cardiff v Burnley earlier in the year
Ball in play 42 minutes
New record. Even got the attention of football's money men who realised the potential implications for their pockets, leaving IFAB in a flap

Last edited:
I don't think he used his tools in this one.

He did though. Burnley's keeper was cautioned for time wasting at the half hour mark, which has to be the earliest case of time wasting that got cautioned that I can remember.

He did though. Burnley's keeper was cautioned for time wasting at the half hour mark, which has to be the earliest case of time wasting that got cautioned that I can remember.
Yes, but did it work? Was any1 else cautioned? Did the keeper stop wasting time?
Ref has clearly thought I know I will put a stop to this early doors but by the sound of it, it didn't work? And the next move was he would have to be the ref to put his head above the parapet and send off for 2 DRPs.

Yep. Laid his marker down nice and early. Then let them still get away with it at the end.
I would like to see refs add on 8-9 mins additional time to show the culprits that there is no point feigning injury, as the time will just get added on anyway.

I'd love to see how a match goes with an independent timekeeper stopping every time the ball is out of play, coupled with a shorter time (say 30 minute halves), just as an experiment to see if it improves or damages the spectacle. There's lots of speculation either way, but I can't recall ever reading about it being trialled?

I'd love to see how a match goes with an independent timekeeper stopping every time the ball is out of play, coupled with a shorter time (say 30 minute halves), just as an experiment to see if it improves or damages the spectacle. There's lots of speculation either way, but I can't recall ever reading about it being trialled?

I agree. It would be interesting to know the stats. There so many areas where the professionals try to sneak vital minutes to gain an advantage. Some say it's professionalism...I say it's cheating.

Don't get me started - cautioning in the 32nd minute is preferable to cautioning 10 seconds from the end of added time! (QPR v Blackburn) - utterly pointless. Referee in that game also blew for half time as QPR player started to take conrer kick - you don't see that too often either!

I agree. It would be interesting to know the stats. There so many areas where the professionals try to sneak vital minutes to gain an advantage. Some say it's professionalism...I say it's cheating.

Call it what you want. Unfortunately, the way it is permitted in the game today means that not doing it is unilateral disarmament. As long as referees permit it, of course teams are going to do it.n We so often see clear time wasting in added time--and even if the R warns or cautions, too often the added time ends at the originally announced time. In otehr words, it is clear that the caution (which ate up time) was an effective way of "taking one for the team."

Eh, not too fussed there. I'm just pointing out he did use the tools available to him, which @BCMilan said he didn't.
I suppose. But not the full range. Its a token caution.
It's using just a chisel for a job that requires a chisel and a hammer.
I'm not saying I wouldnt do the same. Just seems like he's said I am not going to tolerate it with the early booking then not followed through with it.
I haven't seen the game so only going off descriptions. Keeper must have been royally taking the p I double s to have got cautioned on 32mins.

Back