A&H

Chelsea v Utd

No subjective decision is 'digital'. In the sense that there is no exact point when one decides it is a foul or not. And if one decides it is not a foul, there is no exact pint to say the decision is clearly and obviously wrong. There are plenty of grey areas and sliding scales.

Use of OFR should be common sense. It causes further delays to the game and no one wants that but not using it at all means two people are refereeing the game. IMO its use should be dependent on how clear and obvious was the ref's decision wrong? If that makes sense. It think in some cases, there is no need for OFR, "That was a nailed on red card mate". No need to look at it". While others should go to OFR, "I think you made an obvious error, but you better take a look at it". And there is also those you use OFR to sell the decision, and if the decision needs selling, it would be on the lower end of clear and obvious anyway.

Both the Son and Maguire incidents were at the lower end of clear and obvious and should have been reviewed by OFR. EDIT: Aubameyang incident was at the high end and no need for OFR.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
No subjective decision is 'digital'. In the sense that there is no exact point when one decides it is a foul or not. And if one decides it is not a foul, there is no exact pint to say the decision is clearly and obviously wrong. There are plenty of grey areas and sliding scales.

Use of OFR should be common sense. It causes further delays to the game and no one wants that but not using it at all means two people are refereeing the game. IMO its use should be dependent on how clear and obvious was the ref's decision wrong? If that makes sense. It think in some cases, there is no need for OFR, "That was a nailed on red card mate". No need to look at it". While others should go to OFR, "I think you made an obvious error, but you better take a look at it". And there is also those you use OFR to sell the decision, and if the decision needs selling, it would be on the lower end of clear and obvious anyway.

Both the Son and Maguire incidents were at the lower end of clear and obvious and should have been reviewed by OFR.

Yes, I agree with that completely.

Reactions: one
Back