A&H

Club assistants - advice please

BES

Hi all

Not for the first time I had a club assistant who was giving some suspect offside decisions.

They were not glaringly obvious and his positioning was decent but there was a few that I thought hard about overruling him.

I didn't as this has caused me trouble previously.

I'm in a no win position, the attacking either get the hump, call him a cheat and think I'm weak for not overruling or the defending team get in my back for ignoring an assistant doing his best.

Any advice to take forward would be appreciated as I said his has happened before and I want to prevent the moans from either team.

I considered positioning myself more in line with the back 4 to give myself a creditable position to make the call but the soggy pitch dictated a long ball game which made that very difficult.

Help!?

The Referee Store
If the CAR is in credible positions when he makes those calls, unless you are in an as good as or better position it is hard to overrule without causing yourself more problems.

If they are 20 or 30 yds behind play it is easier to sell the overrule.

Short of getting in a better position to judge the accuracy of the flag....not a lot more you can do.

If your league allows CAR to give offsides, then there will be some doubtful decisions / officials. Unless you are better positioned, you have to take them.

Your only other option is to dispense with him / remove offsides from his remit.

I've always gone into the games with the mentality that if I the only thing I am getting moaned at by the end of the 90 minutes is a questionable offside decision from a CAR I've had a good game. Like others have said, there's unfortunately not a great deal you can do

In a separate thread it was mentioned that, in Scotland, CARs do not give offside. I'm in Scotland myself and the expectation is that CARs simply indicate when the ball is in/out of play. Even this is a bit hit and miss. My offside decisions are not 100% correct but I'm more confident in my own judgement that that of an unqualified/inattentive/biased CAR.
So, my question is - do we want CARs giving offside decisions?

In a separate thread it was mentioned that, in Scotland, CARs do not give offside. I'm in Scotland myself and the expectation is that CARs simply indicate when the ball is in/out of play. Even this is a bit hit and miss. My offside decisions are not 100% correct but I'm more confident in my own judgement that that of an unqualified/inattentive/biased CAR.
This topic has been 'done to death' on previous threads and I will here and now predict that consensus on this issue is unlikely to be forthcoming :rolleyes:.

However, to get the ball rolling, my point of view is that on balance it is slightly preferable to allow CARs the chance to also give offsides. That is the accepted norm in these parts and the majority of those who assist me (across a variety of youth, junior, intermediate and women's leagues) attempt to do this difficult job in a half decent way. There are obviously exceptions but a) I've no problem overruling a clear mistake (and tell the captains of this possibility at the coin toss) and b) I've no problem getting them removed / replaced if there is a pattern of clear mistakes. I've also found that the more you are positive, personable and place trust in them, the better they respond.

On a side note, I'm sure it's also made it easier for me as I've progressed to having NARs, as the change to the needed positioning is less significant.

Yes you should have them doing offsides.

Secondly, talk to them before the game telling them there is a possibility you may overrule them, tell them not to get upset over this, but ultimately it is your call. Ask them to focus on remaining up with play at all times and in general you will go with their decision. Do this in front of the captains at the coin toss

As above. It makes sense to I think.
What I always tell CAR's is to indicate possible offside to me but that the call is mine. I'm also careful to explain to the captains to tell their defenders this and to remember to play to the whistle NOT to their lino's flag. :)

i am very glad we dont allow it, which association are you with i am ayrshire referee association

When I do my pre-match instructions to the CAR's, I always tell them not to be offended if I over rule them, as I'm the one being paid to do a job.

Luckily, I don't seem to have too many issues with it. I think I've only had one game where I've asked for a CAR to be changed as they were becoming a major problem for me.

Don't have CAR's giving offsides. Simple.

I can honestly say that I have very few issues with disputed offsides, you just have to alter your positioning slightly to be in a credible position. That may be by getting wider, getting closer to play or something else, it depends what works for you. You do get plenty of honest CAR's, but the problems I used to have with offsides when I gave the club assistants that power just wasn't worth it.

:)

It is not norm here but would never cross my mind for car not to give offsides.

How can you be in a credible position as a ref for all offside decisions when the ball is in open play?!

Even being up with play but not in line with the defence will surely end up with you being questioned endless times??

It is not norm here but would never cross my mind for car not to give offsides.

How can you be in a credible position as a ref for all offside decisions when the ball is in open play?!

Even being up with play but not in line with the defence will surely end up with you being questioned endless times??

You'd be surprised. Very honestly, I have very few issues with players questioning offside decisions.

It just comes down to what's the norm in your area.
Where I first refereed, we didn't use CAR's. So, if I was refereeing a game by myself, then so be it. Personally I still prefer that to using CAR's.

Where I most recently refereed, CAR's did do offside. Sure, some I had to frequently overrule. If one is being questionable, I'd probably position myself more up that end - depending on the match though. I've had games, either with no ARs or only one neutral AR, where I have positioned myself along the back line of one team for most of the game - but only because in that particular game, I didn't have a concern that I'd miss anything critical in the other areas of the field due to how the game was being played. I firmly believe that sometimes unorthodox positioning can be the best - positioning is simply about playing the odds, after all.

Ceremonial restarts, corner kicks, etc - when I have CAR's I position myself like I have no AR.

If you're going to overrule, you have to be absolutely 100% - and I'd suggest making the decision quickly. Because there is a fair chance you're going to be wrong.

I'm from Scarborough originally and there it is normal for CARs to do offsides. Which meant that if you turned up and tried not to then you'd be causing yourself problems!

In Bradford they don't do offsides. So if you turned up and tried to get them to then you be causing yourself problems.

Having done both I much prefer doing them myself that way if it's contentious it's because of me and in my control at least. With a CAR you always wonder if they're wrong (cheating) anyway.

In the games I've done, CARs can be an option if the ref wishes, this is why I always deny it. Im not fussed about if the ball was an inch out occasionally, its normally too tight to not be able to sell. As soon as I delegate CARs they want to do offsides or try and do them even though i tell them not to so as soon as they shout it, the players do too. I just make life easier and dont have them. Never been a problem for me before without them

If your league allows CAR to give offsides, then there will be some doubtful decisions / officials. Unless you are better positioned, you have to take them.

Your only other option is to dispense with him / remove offsides from his remit.

And guess them yourself ?

CAR do not cheat they are misguided by lack of knowledge of the laws of the game I advise any car that I have ever had that if I feel at any time you are not doing the job correctly I will either remove you or ignore your flag this of course said in front of the skipper before the toss, so when I do and the defending / attacking team moan about it I point out your skipper knew what I was going to do have a go at him
happy days

Back