A&H

Junior/Youth Coach withdraws players

BenGoldy14

BenjiRef
In a u16 cup match I officiated at today the away team coach withdrew her players with 4 minutes of normal time remaining. This followed 2 yellows for dissent and a dismissal for 2 cautionable offences (wreckless challenge and dissent) to the same team. Although not communicated to me directly it seems she took this action as she feared for the safety of her players. It was a physical match but by no means dangerous, etc.
The away team was loosing 5-2 at this point.

The players did not return to the field of play.

I had the need earlier in the match to warn both away team coaches of their unacceptable behavior from the touch line.

I have obviously communicated this situation to Devon FA and the the relevant league referee secretary (himself an ex FIFA official).

Ahead of any league Committee investigation I would be interested to hear from others what is likely to happen with the status of this fixture.

The Referee Store
not one iota should be given as to what happens next, you do your bit, report the facts then file the game away in the back of your head and start thinking about next weekends games.
control the controlables, do not lose any sleep, time or effort on it.

Total random guess though from what you post, and in no way am I committing myself to this being the definative answer, very much possible the result will stand as 2-5

Away team should be disciplined for doing this
Not your problem and I'm sure the result will stand given the circumstances

Agreed. Away team failed to fulfil the fixture, so the starting point is that the match will be awarded to their opponents and they'll be fined. If they want to try and justify their decision by blaming you, they've got a HUUUUUUUGE burden of proof to meet and it just won't happen.

Agreed. Away team failed to fulfil the fixture, so the starting point is that the match will be awarded to their opponents and they'll be fined. If they want to try and justify their decision by blaming you, they've got a HUUUUUUUGE burden of proof to meet and it just won't happen.

It's causing the game to be abandoned rather than failure to fulfil, but same likely outcome. 30 minutes earlier and it would have had to be replayed in full, but with it being abandoned so late I'd be amazed if the score at the time doesn't stand.

Technically though, as this is an abandonment, county need to deal with it and the league can only get involved once that process finishes.

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on this. I was doing an U18s game a few fouls 1 yellow for dissent for the away team one yellow for the home team for a bodycheck but not a bad tempered game a few careless fouls until the 88th minute. An away team player broke quickly and was sycthed down late and high by the home team. I binned the home team player and there were no complaints from the home team players or the home team coach. But the away team coach threatend to withdraw his players as he had duty of care over them. Now the tackle was bad but it was dealt with but the away coach was still saying another one like that he would call his players off. I could of understood this if I had not sent him off or even only yellow carded him but it was dealt with. Any views.

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on this. I was doing an U18s game a few fouls 1 yellow for dissent for the away team one yellow for the home team for a bodycheck but not a bad tempered game a few careless fouls until the 88th minute. An away team player broke quickly and was sycthed down late and high by the home team. I binned the home team player and there were no complaints from the home team players or the home team coach. But the away team coach threatend to withdraw his players as he had duty of care over them. Now the tackle was bad but it was dealt with but the away coach was still saying another one like that he would call his players off. I could of understood this if I had not sent him off or even only yellow carded him but it was dealt with. Any views.

What did he expect you to do, hold a summary trial and execute the sent off player … :)

....it seems she took this action as she feared for the safety of her players....

I had the need earlier in the match to warn both away team coaches of their unacceptable behavior from the touch line.

TBH I'm far more interested in why you think they walked off.
You don't say if there was a safety issue or not, but by your omission, I am guessing not.
I'm reading between the lines and guess this is an away team coaching staff that are basically having a tanty about losing.

In a u16 cup match I officiated at today the away team coach withdrew her players with 4 minutes of normal time remaining. This followed 2 yellows for dissent and a dismissal for 2 cautionable offences (wreckless challenge and dissent) to the same team. Although not communicated to me directly it seems she took this action as she feared for the safety of her players. It was a physical match but by no means dangerous, etc.
The away team was loosing 5-2 at this point.

The players did not return to the field of play.

I have obviously communicated this situation to Devon FA and the the relevant league referee secretary (himself an ex FIFA official).

Ahead of any league Committee investigation I would be interested to hear from others what is likely to happen with the status of this fixture.

Hi @BenGoldy14 - you have done the required by informing the CFA and the league. As others have said, file the game as complete and onto your next game.

Next steps are likely to be
- CFA will charge the club for causing an abandonment. That will take the normal process
- League, after the above, will either remove the Away club from the cup for failing to fulfill the fixture; or order a replay, if they are found innocent by the CFA. Either solution will not involve you. There should not be an investigation as the CFA will have decided on the guilt or not of the club, any further investigation risks "double judgement". The League has very limited powers and will follow the CFA decision.

Back