A&H

Coin Toss (New Laws) - Question

You are mistaken. The options are kick off. Or choose and end to attack. So if the winner chooses an end the loser kick off. And if the winner chooses to kick off the loser chooses which end to attack in the first half.
Its 2 options. With the loser settling for the option the winner didn't pick.

Ah interesting. I had read 'take the kick off' as 'take the decision', that's how I'd use the word take. Fair enough

The Referee Store
Agreed - but if he answers "we'd like them to kick off", we're then obliged to make the winning captain pick an end. Won't that come across to the losing captain as if the winner has gotten to make both decisions?
It could come across they make 6 decisions
Which end they attack first half
Which half they kick off
Which end they attack second half
Which end the opponent's attack first half
Which end the opponents attack second hlaf
Which half the opponent's kick off

Or you can make it simple and think of it as a choice of the first two and the rest is automatic.

Last edited:
Sounds like the new law is confusing a few professional tossers on here! This needs shaking up before next season! 😂

Reactions: one
It’s just not complicated. It’s exactly what it used to be.
This. We're just going back to the way it always was (at least, since 1873, so for as long as anyone who is alive today can remember) up until 1997. I can't believe how complicated some people are trying to make this - or that they think it's complicated at all.

You toss a coin. Based on who wins, one team kicks off, the other chooses ends. That's it. I surely can't be the only one that remembers how this works, and how utterly, utterly simple it is.

For instance, the team that wins the toss isn't getting to tell the other team anything (or at least, only in a non-verbal and round-about kind of way). They just get to choose what they want to do. That's the way to conceptualise it and it's how you present it. Whichever captain wins the toss, you say to them, "What do you want, kick-off or choice of ends?" They tell you, the other team gets whichever option they don't choose.

I must have done the coin toss this way hundreds and hundreds of times in my life. It was never anything other than exceptionally straightforward, both for me and the teams. Nobody ever got confused, nobody ever had a problem understanding how it worked. Maybe it's me being somehow obtuse but I just don't see the problem.

I can't believe how complicated some people are trying to make th
I agree it's not complicated. My theory for how this thread has gone so far is we don't have much more interesting things to talk about.
You toss a coin. Based on who wins, one team kicks off, the other chooses ends. That's it.
Isn't this also the description of what currently happens? As I said, it's not complicated but you are making the change simpler than what it is. You are missing the extra choice that the winner gets from next year (to kick off or choose ends which you described later in your post)

Blimey, people are making the simple task of tossing a coin a lot more complicated than it should be.

Just say to the winner "do you want kick off or choice of ends". If he chooses kick off say to the loser "you get choice of ends", if the winner chooses ends you say to the loser "you get the kick off". I'm really struggling to see the complication here.

I'm thick, no idea how I manage as a referee (ok maybe not THAT bad), yet even I understand the change, and did at first reading.

Some people really do put way too much thought into it.

just leave the laws alone phew
Except if that had always been the policy, there would be no goalkeepers, no corners, goal kicks or penalties, anyone in front of the ball would be offside, all players would be allowed to catch the ball, you would be able to touch the ball down behind the goal line and bring it back out for a 'try' at goal, etc, etc. We'd basically still be playing what amounts to a version of rugby with a round ball and less handling allowed.

Back