A&H

Colombia - Japan

alexgr

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
RED in 3 minutes! First of the tournament - DOGSO handball. Great decision, no need for VAR

The Referee Store
Strong decision, but easy to spot. Thought his management of the dismissal and penalty looked weak, allowed the Colombians to delay the penalty.
Interesting he made sure the whole of the ball was on the spot (at the behest of Colombia)

Well he didn't want to go. Do you think FIFA will charge him for failure to leave the FOP - and add one match?

I had a tickle on Colombia to score two or more, I guess my bad luck is quite swiftly back into action after my decent day yesterday.

Yet to see a replay of the Red.

38th, free kick from a very good position to the wrong team. Goal. VAR cant fix this

Hardest thing in the world to do as a ref is keep a Neutral head once you’ve sent a player off, doesn’t matter what sport it is the minute a ref sends a player off he automatically becomes that teams 11th man, every single last 50/50 call to a T the ref will give to the 10 men, it’s like a switch goes off on there head and they feel they have to look fair on the 10 men.

Does anyone agree?

AGGGGHHH!

Listening to 5live. Kelly Cates says - "a tweet has just come in asking why Sanchez was sent off when he wouldn't have been in the Premier League due to the double jeopardy rule and why wasn't Umtiti sent off in the France match." According to Cates it is because the Sanchez one was deemed to be deliberate and the Umtiti one wasn't...

AGGGGHHH!

Listening to 5live. Kelly Cates says - "a tweet has just come in asking why Sanchez was sent off when he wouldn't have been in the Premier League due to the double jeopardy rule and why wasn't Umtiti sent off in the France match." According to Cates it is because the Sanchez one was deemed to be deliberate and the Umtiti one wasn't...

Just look at the online discussion forums. Lots of fans are confused on this point. Not really a surprise, just shows how little the fanbase knows about the laws.

Just look at the online discussion forums. Lots of fans are confused on this point. Not really a surprise, just shows how little the fanbase knows about the laws.

I dont watch cricket. One, I dont like it, and two, I dont know any of the rules
Yet millions are happy to sit watch football without really knowing whats going on

Yes, but Kelly Cates is not just a fan, she is supposed to be an expert. It's not surprising that fans are confused when the "experts" come out with this absolute nonsense.

Love to hear Robbie Savage make a complete ar4e of himself too in trying to explain decisions ...... wrongly!!

I dont watch cricket. One, I dont like it, and two, I dont know any of the rules
Yet millions are happy to sit watch football without really knowing whats going on

I don't mind that, but personally when I do watch a sport and an incident happens I like to get the correct information as to why that decision has happened.

Though, I'll tell you what, being a football referee has made me much more considerate of other sports referees. I'm more inclined to believe that a rugby referee has made the right decision at the end of the day, even if I don't know the rules, despite what the fans and pundits might say post-match. :angel:

Yes, but Kelly Cates is not just a fan, she is supposed to be an expert. It's not surprising that fans are confused when the "experts" come out with this absolute nonsense.

That's true. Though... We do have refereeing pundits now and they've not always been helping either! :facepalm:

Hardest thing in the world to do as a ref is keep a Neutral head once you’ve sent a player off, doesn’t matter what sport it is the minute a ref sends a player off he automatically becomes that teams 11th man, every single last 50/50 call to a T the ref will give to the 10 men, it’s like a switch goes off on there head and they feel they have to look fair on the 10 men.

Does anyone agree?
I don't know about anyone else but I certainly don't agree. It never made any difference to me and I have to say I haven't particularly noticed it with other referees either, certainly not at higher levels. Saying that a referee "automatically becomes a team's 11th man" sounds like something players would probably say and/or believe even though it really isn't true.

The only time I could imagine it might happen would be if a referee sends a player off then realises they've made a huge mistake in doing so. But if the red card was well-deserved then I can't think of any reason why it would affect a referee in the way you suggest.

Back