A&H

Junior/Youth Competitive U13 fixture

SLI39

Yesterday I was assigned two games on a large 3G pitch. Given that I lack weekly practice (not in a fitness sense, just from an officiating perspective) and do about a game a month, I might have foreseen that this might be a challenge. Omens were perhaps not good as regards treatment of referees when, as soon as I arrived, I received a strict telling off from staff for daring to use a toilet in the clubhouse for Covid security. What if I'd needed to get changed?? In the car, I presume..

Anyway, leaving that aside, my first U15 fixture was a positive experience overall. But the ten minute turnaround before a tight division 1 U13 fixture was not ideal. Pitch is, as mentioned above, very large for this age group. Players start with great energy and fairly clean--competitive, but quite easy to referee; as match goes on, the level drops and decisions are to be made.
2-2 at half time, one penalty each; the first is a certainty, the second questioned by home team (keeper got flick on ball, but makes contact with legs of player who has gone round him). I am patronisingly told, after giving a free kick late in the first half, that I have played way over. I politely inform manager that we are into one minute of additional time.
In the second half, there is another penalty for a late tackle and a calm word with the culprit, who walked away from me and seemed unapologetic (I had my teacher's hat on; probably could/should have shown yellow as well).

Managers start to question 50/50 decisions more--'watch the afters', 'we're trying to educate them, so please explain what he's done wrong there' etc. This sort of thing is like water off a duck's back these days.

One thing I can definitely improve upon, however, is my positioning on free kicks (and more generally) and spotting handballs in the area. Apparently I missed two in quick succession yesterday. I have a tendency to take up a position inside the pitch from view of taker with the idea that I can more easily spot offside runners (even with CARs). However, thinking about it while driving home yesterday, I realised that experienced refs take up a position behind the taker, presumably to gain better view of incidents in the wall and near to goal. Any thoughts.

Thank you for reading.

The Referee Store
Very good self reflection, like you said just take the comments on the chin whatever decision you make will annoy 11 players and the gaffer!

Yesterday I was assigned two games on a large 3G pitch. Given that I lack weekly practice (not in a fitness sense, just from an officiating perspective) and do about a game a month, I might have foreseen that this might be a challenge. Omens were perhaps not good as regards treatment of referees when, as soon as I arrived, I received a strict telling off from staff for daring to use a toilet in the clubhouse for Covid security. What if I'd needed to get changed?? In the car, I presume..

Anyway, leaving that aside, my first U15 fixture was a positive experience overall. But the ten minute turnaround before a tight division 1 U13 fixture was not ideal. Pitch is, as mentioned above, very large for this age group. Players start with great energy and fairly clean--competitive, but quite easy to referee; as match goes on, the level drops and decisions are to be made.
2-2 at half time, one penalty each; the first is a certainty, the second questioned by home team (keeper got flick on ball, but makes contact with legs of player who has gone round him). I am patronisingly told, after giving a free kick late in the first half, that I have played way over. I politely inform manager that we are into one minute of additional time.
In the second half, there is another penalty for a late tackle and a calm word with the culprit, who walked away from me and seemed unapologetic (I had my teacher's hat on; probably could/should have shown yellow as well).

Managers start to question 50/50 decisions more--'watch the afters', 'we're trying to educate them, so please explain what he's done wrong there' etc. This sort of thing is like water off a duck's back these days.

One thing I can definitely improve upon, however, is my positioning on free kicks (and more generally) and spotting handballs in the area. Apparently I missed two in quick succession yesterday. I have a tendency to take up a position inside the pitch from view of taker with the idea that I can more easily spot offside runners (even with CARs). However, thinking about it while driving home yesterday, I realised that experienced refs take up a position behind the taker, presumably to gain better view of incidents in the wall and near to goal. Any thoughts.

Thank you for reading.
There's no totally correct place to stand for a free kick, or corner for that matter. Like you I tend to look out for offside runners during the taking of a free kick, I think its very important if the keeper spills the shot or it rebounds off a post, but I've had an occasion when the ball has struck a player in the wall and gone for a corner but I gave a goal kick as I didn't see the contact (lots of head shaking and dismay from the attacking team). I try and use the players age as a guide as to whether they are likely to shoot directly at the goal or play it into the area and position myself accordingly.
Missing a handball can happen to anyone, I had a 'big' claim in a game yesterday but I couldn't see it due to the number of players in a crowded penalty area and that's what I've told everyone.....we are human and cant see through people.

There are a couple of positioning diagrams on FKs at the back of the magic book.

In thinking of position, think about what you need to see. If it is likely to be a shot, there are really three key things: OS, handling or shenanigans in the wall (the latter less critical with the new meter-from-the-wall requirement), and whether a shot crosses the goal line. If it is likely to be a pass, then you're worried more about the landing area.

I can't imagine lining up behind the taker (I always ref with ARs). I want to be closer to the plays that are possible/likely than that.

And keep in mind that missing handballs and missing things that attackers think are handballs are very different things. . . .

Thank you for all your comments. Those decisions weigh a little lighter a few days after, and as you say, the positioning on a free kick has to weigh up different factors and may depend on quality of the teams. I can probably be more flexible.

I used to stand facing the goal so I could see the kicker, the wall and most of the players. It meant though that I couldn't see offsides. I was watching a more experienced referee and noticed he chose to stand in line with the defensive line on free kicks to pick up offsides.

I decided to adopt this. First game after this, free kick 20 yards out from 18 yard box. I stood in line with defenders, free kick taken, I'm watching for offside then hear the shout for handball after the ball hand struck the wall. I didn't see it and had to admit i wasn't watching. I've gone back to my previous position.

I used to stand facing the goal so I could see the kicker, the wall and most of the players. It meant though that I couldn't see offsides. I was watching a more experienced referee and noticed he chose to stand in line with the defensive line on free kicks to pick up offsides.

I decided to adopt this. First game after this, free kick 20 yards out from 18 yard box. I stood in line with defenders, free kick taken, I'm watching for offside then hear the shout for handball after the ball hand struck the wall. I didn't see it and had to admit i wasn't watching. I've gone back to my previous position.
This is a classic example of where you need to position yourself differently depending on the status of your AR's. With club or no AR's, an attacking FK is a rare opportunity where being on the offside line is sensible and easy for a referee, so you should absolutely take it. A side-on view will still let you pick up any HB's above the wall and out the side of the wall at your end at least, so you're still covering the key HB bases. And offside decisions based off rebounds/saves from the keeper are incredibly tricky for a CAR to understand, so there are huge benefits to being in a position where you can help them out. Just make sure you're on the opposite side so you're supporting them rather than blocking them!

Conversely, a trained neutral AR should be able to handle those trickier decisions on their own. So you're free to put yourself in a position that gives you a clear view of what's going on it the wall, but perhaps more importantly, also gives you a clear route to get in a position where you can make a call on anything that happens in the penalty area after the FK.

I think the overall point I'm trying to make here is that a HB in the wall - although worth trying to discourage - isn't the be-all-and-end-all of managing attacking FK's. If someone's sticking their hand out of the wall to make a block, you should be able to spot that from multiple angles and so can de-prioritise it when making your positioning decision. And if someone is extending an elbow to try and plug a gap in the wall - well that's going to be an incredibly tough and controversial call regardless of how good your positioning is, so again, choosing your position based entirely on trying to spot that is potentially futile.

Graeme has nailed it. I was going to post similar the other day.
On my own with clubs (in an area where they don't give offside) I have always taken a position to sport offside and in the box antics, but you can always see the wall still from here. Handballs in the wall I am looking for arms above the shoulder or extended so this is still visible from other vantage points where offside is not.
One trick is to manage the wall. Tell them you want their arms tight to their body, otherwise its a possible handball offence, and if in the PA I point that out to them too.
To this day I don't think I have ever given a handball to players in the wall.

Thanks James!

The other thing that came to mind after I'd finished that past post is that you shouldn't be beating yourself up just because someone has claimed HB. If that player has pushed all his mates aside to take the FK and then just hit it straight into the wall then it's his fault for wasting a good chance - chances are, he's probably been a bit of a dickhead in the process of claiming that chance.

If he hits it at the wall and the ref has "missed a handball", then suddenly all focus goes off him and onto the ref. So there's a pretty strong incentive to stick your hand up and should "Handball ref!" regardless of if there was a hand anywhere near it! And then once that appeal's been made, why wouldn't the rest of him team support that?

Back