A&H

CONCACAF Centre for Refereeing Excellence Video

CanuckRef

Level 3 Referee
CONCACAF has released their first public video for the Centre for Refereeing Excellence. In this, the Director of Officials, discusses the application of advantage for 20 minutes. Worth a watch.

The Referee Store
CONCACAF has released their first public video for the Centre for Refereeing Excellence. In this, the Director of Officials, discusses the application of advantage for 20 minutes. Worth a watch.

credit the last clip for advantage and goal, I would not be polishing his bonnet too much though, the goalie should receive a red for sfp

Endangering safety. ( contact with boots on opponents chest, high,)
At speed
Excessive force
Not in control of his actions
Little chance of getting the ball

I dont see it on the clip but its a yellow at the very least and for a coaching tutorial to overlook a required sanction is disappointing

Also to add, we will never know, but had the last clip not resulted in a goal, am sure the fouled player would still be getting treatment and rolling around the floor today, in a theatrical showing of how severe the goalies challenge was and how a sanction must be forthcoming. Thats what top players do, they are brain washed into doing everything to get everything for their team, by any means,

Not sure I'm a fan of these regional slants on interpreting the LOTG
The presentations should either come from IFAB direct, or not at all

credit the last clip for advantage and goal, I would not be polishing his bonnet too much though, the goalie should receive a red for sfp

Endangering safety. ( contact with boots on opponents chest, high,)
At speed
Excessive force
Not in control of his actions
Little chance of getting the ball
I'm REALLY not seeing where you're getting half of this from here... here's an image of the point of contact. No boots. Not chest. Not excessive force. GK IS controlling his actions and pulling out of the challenge when he realizes that he cannot get the ball.

concacaf_point_of_contact.png

SFP? Never. DOGSO? Likely. SPA? At a minimum.

I dont see it on the clip but its a yellow at the very least and for a coaching tutorial to overlook a required sanction is disappointing
The focus is on the wait and see for advantage, it's not about sanctions here. The discussion on possible sanctions here would completely override the point that is being made in the clip.

Now, could an offhand comment be made to mention that a sanction would be required? Sure, would it potentially open a bit of a can of worms in terms of derailing the discussion? Maybe.

The point of this clip? "Wait and See".

I'm REALLY not seeing where you're getting half of this from here... here's an image of the point of contact. No boots. Not chest. Not excessive force. GK IS controlling his actions and pulling out of the challenge when he realizes that he cannot get the ball.

View attachment 4268

The focus is on the wait and see for advantage, it's not about sanctions here. The discussion on possible sanctions here would completely override the point that is being made in the clip.

Now, could an offhand comment be made to mention that a sanction would be required? Sure, would it potentially open a bit of a can of worms in terms of derailing the discussion? Maybe.

i understand the point of the clip

however

that goalkeeper has, wiped out the striker, clattered into him, at speed, no regard for the opponents safety, nowhere near or chance of playing the ball
Its down to luck there was no injury.

By not issuing a sanction we are saying the goalkeepers challenge is ok.
It is not

on my pitch, the players do not expect to be cemented by an on rushing goalkeeper and for the actions to go unpunished.

forgive my number of edits on this, Ipad struggling to reposition the pic

SFP. Endangers Safety. This guy is mid air, two feet off ground, clattering into the striker from behind, no legitimate attempt to play ball, its at speed and popular or not I fear folk would be forgiving due to a goal being scored. Am putting him off

1A235D55-B519-4508-8311-FC5FE0180E5D.png

Last edited:

View attachment 4268

But, of course, you're never going to book for SPA or DOGSO if you've also played advantage.

In any case, I agree with you entirely that the point of this video is not to discuss misconduct, so there would be no reason to expect it to be discussed.

If the ref was better than sliced bread, he ought to have cautioned the GK for RP. This argument is made relevant, only because the commentator eulogises 'courageous' refereeing and the true definition of 'excellence'
Rightly in some cases and wrongly in most, referees look for avenues out of sanctioning players, if at all possible. This is an example. Truth be told, I'd have wrongly turned a blind eye to the GK whilst giving it the MD fist (only because of expectation)

If the ref was better than sliced bread, he ought to have cautioned the GK for RP. This argument is made relevant, only because the commentator eulogises 'courageous' refereeing and the true definition of 'excellence'
Rightly in some cases and wrongly in most, referees look for avenues out of sanctioning players, if at all possible. This is an example. Truth be told, I'd have wrongly turned a blind eye to the GK whilst giving it the MD fist (only because of expectation)

You have summed up my point, albeit I would go red
Regardless of the subject matter in the clips, the referee has neglected his duties by overlooking a card ( whatever colour you opt for)
I say I go red, for me, its a SFP red, BUT all things considered, like you say, maybe right, maybe wrong, am going yellow because a red would be a surprise. ( even if i feel its correct)

if you are taking praise for good refereeing, then display good refereeing
Advantage, well, part of that, which we know, includes going back to take a sanction if required, so, for me, yip, correct, brave, sensible, lucky, whatever, to allow play to continue, well signalled, got a goal out of it, needs the sanction too though, or else the advantage principle has not been fully displayed.

Last edited:
Back