A&H

Considering starting to referee Womens Open Age matches .. any views?

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
Now that my son is stopping his football career (in favour of the egg shaped game!), I will have more flexibility next season with how I spend my time on Sundays. I'm not keen on the idea of more Mens OA leagues, so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of Mens County Cup matches vs County / Regional Womens OA v Youth U18 games.

Anyone got any helpful experience they'd like to share in helping me make the decision? Or other options I could be considering??

The Referee Store
I tried womens football, definitely not for me. There are two types of players (at proper grassroots). 1) The really kind woman, who will accidentally budge into another player, stop, say sorry repeatedly and continue. 2) The really sneaky, aggressive player, who will pull hair, scratch and all sorts.

I found when I was refereeing that level of women football, I wasn't really enjoying it. There was either too little to do (both teams were type 1) or I was working too hard trying to catch the type 2s.

Of course, this is only my opinion - WHICH WE ARE ALL ENTITLED TO ;)

If I was given the choice between the two, I would go with the youth matches (typically anything from U16 to U18).

If there are any Women's Premier League teams in your county (Watford?), then the County FA look after appointments for their home games, which are usually half-decent standard. There are also County rep teams which again should be quite good. Both of these types of fixtures will generally be in stadiums or at proper professional club training grounds, and will have three officials allocated. I've done a few West Ham Ladies games this year and it was good fun, especially the banter from Julian Dicks (WHL manager).

I've done a few U16 girls matches as well, all County Cup appointments, and although it was a novelty at first, it was absolutely no challenge at all (no discipline issues, and hardly any fouls), so I couldn't comment on whether you would enjoy them. It's easy money I suppose but in my experience not something I would purposefully sign up for.

I find variety helps, before my season was cut short, not as short as yours thakfully, by injury, my portfolio was as AR Ryman U18, Ryman U21, Brentford U16 & U18, QPR Ladies 1st team.

As ref Harrow Youth League - usually U15 U16, QPR ladies Reserves, Ladies Capital Cup and the odd County Cup (Youth).

On top of that lot there are ad hoc schools games and Barnet Fc academy games where my County are always after officials.

Should be possible wherever you are to build up a portfolio of leagues, I personally find that's what keeps me enjoying the experience.

I enjoy officiating on womens football. It's not as fast and aggressive as the men's game, but it's good to be involved with.

I would say go for it.

Appreciate all your replies folks, plenty of food for thought (though got to hate the lack the consistency :rolleyes:).

I'll keep pondering .. though I think in the early part of the season I'll prioritise Mens County Cups, partly to support the County and partly to ensure I get my minimum 20 games completed nice and early. Will keep you posted as the season progresses ....

Refereed Women's Final on Monday (went to penalties) then lined on a second Final 45 minutes later. As usual, the technique was often better than men's football at the same level but less physical aggression. I quite like a bit of bite in my games. If forced to chose I'd go with Youth Football but Women's Open Age can be enjoyable as well.

Now that my son is stopping his football career (in favour of the egg shaped game!), I will have more flexibility next season with how I spend my time on Sundays. I'm not keen on the idea of more Mens OA leagues, so I'm weighing up the pros and cons of Mens County Cup matches vs County / Regional Womens OA v Youth U18 games.

Anyone got any helpful experience they'd like to share in helping me make the decision? Or other options I could be considering??

I've done quite a few games on the Herts girls partnership league as a favour and have to say its brilliant. U16-18 great fun. I'd say go for it. The hospitality from the clubs is superb and the football on display a very very good standard.

Back