A&H

consistency

richard ramjane

RefChat Addict
we had a local RA meeting last night and the theme was consistency, and how players view us as being inconsistent, when in reality similar offences can be punished in different ways.
it made for some lively discussion and was designed , in part i think, to reassure us that we can have scenarios where players are not taking into account all the other factors that become instinct to referees.
The upshot of it all was that if we are happy in ourselves that we have punished consistently in law, and taking into account all the surrounding factors of each individual incident, then thats good enough.
The fact that the player is filtering out everything other than the actual offence, due to lack of knowledge, shouldnt affect your decision making.

The Referee Store
This is what I perceive as the players biggest grumble at grassroots level. They see similar offences being dealt with differently weekly (thus getting "Last weeks Ref" issues) so moan about consistency.

At higher levels, consistency is controlled by Observers and peer pressure, but the lack of support resources does affect the grassroots refereeing. The problem is that we have these discussions at RA meeting, but its the referees who are not there who differ from the expected standard. The question is how to we "raise / change" them to the expected standard?

That is the $64,000 question (or the £1M question, given what will happen to the exchange rate....)

This is what I perceive as the players biggest grumble at grassroots level. They see similar offences being dealt with differently weekly (thus getting "Last weeks Ref" issues) so moan about consistency.

At higher levels, consistency is controlled by Observers and peer pressure, but the lack of support resources does affect the grassroots refereeing. The problem is that we have these discussions at RA meeting, but its the referees who are not there who differ from the expected standard. The question is how to we "raise / change" them to the expected standard?

That is the $64,000 question (or the £1M question, given what will happen to the exchange rate....)

yes , numbers in general at RA's appear to be dwindling, and there doesnt appear to be much requirement for refs to be of a certain standard. So those that are unwilling to put themselves out and take time to involve themselves in a learning curve with those that know how to do the job properly, make it more difficult for players to understand the thought processes behind decisions.
(for the record i'm a long way down the learning curve myself but i am motivated to question myself and how i go about things in what i believe is the right way)

When decisions are based on opinions then consistency will be nigh on impossible. Weekend was a prime example:

I gave two penalties, after the game i discussed both with my assistants and my coach who was watching on. Assistant 1, both nailed on. Assistant 2, first one wasn't, second one nailed on, coach agreed.

Player i was speaking to after we were changed (who played for the team who got both pens), "Those penalties ref, i think the first one was but im not sure about the second".

5 opinions all completely different.

We don't stand a chance, from now on i am giving nothing ever again, i am blowing to start and for half and full time,otherwise the whistle is not going anywhere near my mouth!! ;);):)

When decisions are based on opinions then consistency will be nigh on impossible. Weekend was a prime example:

I gave two penalties, after the game i discussed both with my assistants and my coach who was watching on. Assistant 1, both nailed on. Assistant 2, first one wasn't, second one nailed on, coach agreed.

Player i was speaking to after we were changed (who played for the team who got both pens), "Those penalties ref, i think the first one was but im not sure about the second".

5 opinions all completely different.

We don't stand a chance, from now on i am giving nothing ever again, i am blowing to start and for half and full time,otherwise the whistle is not going anywhere near my mouth!! ;);):)

haha, oh dear... can i presume 5 different viewpoints but yours being the closest and clearest ?

haha, oh dear... can i presume 5 different viewpoints but yours being the closest and clearest ?

Correct, reflecting back i think the first one was wrong so i was glad when they put it over the bar.

These penalties were also given in the 91st and 92nd minute of a Cup semi final with the score at 0-0, can you imagine how popular i was.

Correct, reflecting back i think the first one was wrong so i was glad when they put it over the bar.

These penalties were also given in the 91st and 92nd minute of a Cup semi final with the score at 0-0, can you imagine how popular i was.
yes.... yes i can imagine... now let me see, only 11 handshakes post final whistle

There are 7 C's in refereeing...
Show Competence
Show Compassion
Show Confidence
Have good Communication
Show Consistency
Show Courage
Stick with your Convictions.....

If you use most of them on a regular basis you won't go far wrong!! Good luck!! :)

Back