A&H

Correct Punishment?

boblardo

Level 5 Referee
During a match yesterday between yellows & blues, there was a bit of jostling and I saw a blue player strike a yellow player with his elbow in the blue team penalty area, the ball was outside of the penalty area.

The yellow player retaliated by tripping the blue player as he ran away

I blew the whistle and called the blue player over and sent him from the fop for violent conduct. I then called over the yellow player and cautioned him for USB

the game was restarted with a penalty to the yellow team, which was duly scored.

No doubt about the red card at all but wonder if the yellow should really have been red as a number of players from the blue team were suggesting it was a kick out although it is likely to have been a kick I can only punish what I see and saw the yellow player tripping!!!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
All seems correct to me. Throwing an elbow is nailed on VC and penalty (assuming the ball was in play at the time of the incident).

If the retaliation was a trip, USB caution is good call. Blue team may want equal justice, but the "crimes" so to speak, are very different. Well done for not buckling under pressure and sticking to your guns.

just a quick reminder if the ball is in play.
penalty correct decision
if not restart with the original corner kick.
throw,
goal kick

If the blue player was running toward the ball and away from the yellow player, surely the yellow player took him out at the ankles and didn't touch the ball?

I'd red him if that was the case...

I'd agree with the above post depending on the level of aggression. If it was just a trip I would probably just caution. But if it was a kick or a swipe I'd be more inclined to go red.

Back