A&H

Correct throw-in enters field of play and then curls off the pitch without anyone touching it...

newref

If a correct throw-in is taken and it enters the field of play and then goes off the pitch without anyone touching it. What is the restart? Same team re-take or throw-in to the opposing team? I'm asking as it does not specify this in law 15 - the throw-in. Thanks

The Referee Store
If a correct throw-in is taken and it enters the field of play and then goes off the pitch without anyone touching it. What is the restart? Same team re-take or throw-in to the opposing team? I'm asking as it does not specify this in law 15 - the throw-in. Thanks

I think it does:

A throw-in is awarded to the opponents of the player who last touched the ball when the whole of the ball passes over the touchline, on the ground or in the air.

Reactions: one
Also note that most throw-ins taken from on or close to the touchline will enter the field of play, at least for a short while. It would be impossible for them not to

What post 3 is saying is that the OP scenario does not have to be specifically mentioned. The ball is in play once it entered the field of play. No offences had been committed at that time. Anything after that is a new unrelated decision and restart.

Similar to throw in near a corner flag. Ball enters the field of play, no one touches it, it goes over the goal line. It's a new unrelated decision now, goal kick or corner kick.

I'm just going to add a bit of thought process here, that may be helpful to newer refs.

When looking at a question like this, go back to basics.

When is the ball in play from a throw in? (This is a good question to ask yourself in many, many scenarios, as whether the ball is in play or not is critical to many questions.

Why is the ball out of play?

Those two questions, as noted above, give you the answer: the ball was in play once it entered the field. It left play by leaving the field. Hence a new TI for leaving the field.

Back