A&H

Crystal Palace u18s v Aston Villa u18

Viking

Yesterday in Premier League South, so the pinnacle of our academy structure. In open play, the ref stepped sideways to get out of the way of a pass. In doing so, a player couldn't get round the ref to get the ball. The ref stopped the game. He restarted it with a contested drop ball (not seen on camera but the summarisers commented on him doing so afterwards). It all happened outside the penalty area.

Two points. I'm not sure I'd stop a game even if I'd accidentally impeded a player. I can't find anything in the lotg about it.

And, of course, dropped balls are never contested, right?

The Referee Store
Stoping the game for whatever referee feels it should be stopped for is not strictly against the lotg. Stopping the game for ref impeding a player is not common, but is in line with the spirit of the law that allows for dropped ball when referee touches the ball and causes a change of possession. I would only do it if it has a significant impact on the game and the 'clash' is clearly my fault.

But of course dropped ball should be uncontested to the player last touched the ball, or to the keeper if in a penalty area.

Back