A&H

Cup Final appointment

• Thread starter Deleted member 3684
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3684

Received a very exciting / nerve racking phone call this week from my referee secretary asking if I would be available to take charge of a league cup final next month.

I was somewhat taken a back and couldn’t say yes quick enough, I’m really surprised to get the appointment as it’s my first season on the league & i would estimate there to be 30+ referees officiating along side me.

He said it was a mixture of commitment & feedback, I know I’ve had a decent season but even so I didn’t expect to be appointed a final.

Now it’s sunk in I’m both nervous and excited, my main two concerns are being in charge of three other officials and our evening for example arriving at ground suited and booted they will be expecting me to lead the evening what time do we change what time do we warm up when do we prep managers captains etc, there are a lot of things going through my mind right now.

The second concern and biggest concern is how to lay out a plan of communication for the game between myself and my ARs, throw ins is my main issue, I’m so used to working alone and signaling throw ins without even looking at the club ARs & now I’m working within a team, my concern is how far or close do I leave the decision to the AR & if it’s a simultaneous action that leads to the throw -automaticity I’d instantly raise an arm in favour of the defending team to show confidence & sell the decision quickly also to calm the game down with a defensive throw. When does it become my responsibility to lead the AR with a throw in decision.

If anyone has some advice or previous instructions they have received from referees or advised to ARs it would be great to hear what you have to say.

I’m confident and honoured that my ability has got me here but at the same time I’m apprehensive & slightly bricking it.

Reactions: one
The Referee Store
Most importantly, well done. You must be chuffed. A few nerves is a healthy thing. But it is just another game. Keep doing what you’ve been doing.

Throw ins: no rush for you or your AR. Guess you haven’t worked as an AR yourself. ARs like simple clear tips: boils down to either/both the ref’s finger point or the ref’s body direction/movement. You both take your time unless it’s blindingly obvious. You lead with a little finger, turn of the body or walking direction (especially if you are in the corner without easy eye contact).

Any sensible AR will change hands with the flag down to give you a strong tip. Don’t overthink it. If you take your time you will only have a couple of decisions where only one of you knows.

Pre match: lots of posts on here... don’t make it complicated. Beginner ARs IMHO need to be reminded about three things:

- Goal/no goal - get to the goal line to make goal/no goal decisions - it looks good and is easier! Follow the ball to the goal line at crosses, shots.

- Offside wait and see - no rush, be sure, any doubt about who played the ball or which attacker might become active etc. wait and see.

- Signalling together - on one hand this means take your time, eye contact, look for ref’s tips before signalling ball in/out (including corners/GKs) but also it means not signalling sometimes... ARs need to look for their ref before flagging fouls in between, and think about advantage with fouls under their nose.

Bonus: always expect the unexpected. If and when something really weird happens, take your time, talk, consult, you can also consult the fourth... no panic... calm... team.. control... enjoy!

And read up on the comp rules and penalty shoot out laws!

I haven’t worked as AR within a team very often & when I have the referee hasn’t put much into the pre match chat also the games haven’t been of great importance, maybe a higher division game with enough refs available to warrant neutral ARs.

The emphasis is now on me & im incharge, incharge of referees that are highly likely to be more experienced & of a higher level than myself.

I’ve seen referees on tv use the finger signals & that is the area of the pitch that I’m concerned about, an area of the pitch that I’m a hell of a lot closer to the play than the AR, I just want us to be on the same wave length from the word go & gain the players trust / respect from kick off.

I’ll express my thoughts pre match with the other officials & i hope with there experience & my enthusiasm we will get there.

Say to the other guys in advance, maybe by text/email, hey guys, great we are on his game together, am a bit fresh when it comes to this kinda apt but lets look forward to it and help each other through it, see ya's there 630, shirt and tie please.

Totally relax, don't over load ARs with what you think is every last possible scenario that could ever happen, keep things as simple as possible, no surprises, the absolute basics and enjoy

look after the easy calls, and the bigger ones should look after themselves.

If am turning up for your line and you give me a 20 mins brief, am sorry you will have me bored by 5 mins, so, (clearly you wont have me) but keep in mind my twin might well be on your game

Ask, listen and relax and take time. Its not always about closer, its about angle, and credibility.

re free kicks, ask ARS to get a feel for how you are running the game, if your worried about them giving you stuff, what I use is,
"if am looking at it and not giving it, I don't want it, however if its a total disgrace for me not to give it, give me it"

cant write the perfect post about what to do, but, the post above, and mine, are hopefully on the same lines.

Make them feel part of the team of 3

Thanks for the input fellas I think the horror thought I keep getting is a moment in the game where I’m looking at the AR & he’s looking at me & nothings been given or a simultaneous different signal has been given from us both.

I won’t be spending long on the pre match brief I’ll just keep it short sweet & to the point it just would have been nice to have a dummy run in a less important game not under flood lights not infront of a paying crowd & not for a trophy.

If neither of you rush into the call, then you should avoid that, take time, eye contact, look at his flag, he looks at you about to play on, or whatever.

Worst case and its a nothing free kick he flags for that you were not going to take, just give it, no harm done.

If you think there is a foul and your waiting for him and he anit for flagging, then, if you are convinced, go with it, you got the final by making good calls, so, trust your instincts.

Be vocal too, encourage the ARs to be......"hands off, don't foul etc", and if you see the push, boom, whistle, fk for a push, afterall, you were both shouting not to do it.....

forgot, have an idea in your head your preference for who writes etc and so on..you want to try avoid all 3 (4?) of you with heads in book at same time, and course might be different where you are but, give thought to which AR goes to tunnel area at ht/ft..

@DCRef - what age group have to got? That could decide on a lot of matters.
Do you know who your assistants are? They may be very experienced, so could help you though your doubts.

Reactions: one
That was one thing I did think about I was hoping the 4th official could take care of substitutions & the admin that entails. I’ll cover bookings & goals, Unless there is a more conventional way to go about it or a more standard practice?

It’s open age men’s, my first season in open age last season I refereed u14-18.

One of the AR is very experienced not sure regarding the other & the 4th official but I would imagine I’m the most inexperienced on the night.

I just need to remember I’m here on merit & hopefully my refereeing ability will out weigh any little teething problems I may have on the night.

Each to own when it comes to paperwork, suppose 4th having a note of everything, is probably the most common,
this leaves both your ARs to observe whilst you write.
Ar1 can of course assist with subs, esp when there is multiple.

goal am meh. If I get them I get them, if not, can find out later, very low down the priorities. Scoring of a goal is a critical time and you need as much focus as you can, folk wrestling in net, taps aff dancing, gestures. chasing you re a foul in the build up, chasing ARs re an offside, If I can note it, its when we are back at half way and the sea is calm.

Bear in mind usually, not that it will happen, if you go down, the 4th comes on, so, best they have up to date book too, although it has been known for ref to pass his book to 4th, personally am not into that but again, each to own

With a 4th, I wont ask my Ars to write anything.

that said, there are very rare horror stories where it still goes wrong, even with Ars writing, but lets not go down that road!

wow I can’t believe I’ll be delegating admin work to other officials I almost feel guilty or above my station.

But good advice there Ciley Mirus with a team of four it gives me an opportunity to focus purely on the game and onfield matters rather than having my nose in a notepad all game.

As has been said, it is down to personal preference. Personally I still wrote everything down apart from subs even when I had a 4th official, goals being one of them. I tried not to following advice and left it to my ARs, then one game was a bit of a cricket score (think it was 5-4 at the time) someone asked me what the score was and I got it wrong. Not really very professional and I went back to recording goals.

Well done @DCRef . Good advice above. I'll add a little to santa's on TI's since you said it's your main issue. My instruction to any AR I work with for the first time:

"Anything obvious flag immediately but still make eye contact. Otherwise make eye contact with discrete signal from both of us (hand/flag to the side of the body, sightly away from body, ready for signal in that direction). If I have doubt's I go with you then you follow. If you have doubts you go with me and I follow. If neither has gone up after in a couple of seconds just wait for me and you follow"

If I have a little doubt I generally give the AR's half a second or so to see how sure they are before I make a decision. If we both have doubts I take player reaction into account and also keep credibility in mind. That is if it goes out near the AR after a challenge and payer's back was to you, the AR decision is a lot more credible than yours (and vice verse).

I ask that everyone record cards and goals. If subs are recorded, AR1 and 4th (if you have one) recording them is a must, I also record if I have time but I let AR2 choose what s/he wants to do.

Good luck and enjoy.

Back