A&H

Open Age Cup Final Appointment

The Referee Store
Congratulations to you! Just remember, although referees will tell you otherwise, it isn't just another game. This is the culmination of a successful season for both of the teams and for your own team.

Keep the sense of occasion, do what you need to do and, above all, enjoy it! You've earned it.

Well done @Justylove - you've earned it - now enjoy it :)

My local ref assoc did a cup final special recently - learnt all kinds of stuff ... ended up in a discussion of what sweets the 4th Official should have in their pocket to help them manage the benches (Haribo came out on top!)

Reactions: SM

My local ref assoc did a cup final special recently - learnt all kinds of stuff ... ended up in a discussion of what sweets the 4th Official should have in their pocket to help them manage the benches (Haribo came out on top!)
I've been appointed as 4th Official for an upcoming cup final, I need to know more @Alex71 :cool:.

A lot will depend on the day itself - what side the benches are, how far apart they are, where the subs warm-up, how the game goes - as well as how the referee would like you to assist on the day

Sweets help on busy games with people often coming out of their technical areas - so the sweets are used to get the kids (whatever age incl. OA) to go back in the seats ... just helps everyone calm down a little and have a bit of a laugh - but you still need to be firm, fair and consistent when managing the benches

There are Laws and Competition Rules that will tell you how many can stand, etc. - but - often refs may say they are not too fussed about extra people standing / communicating onto the pitch as long as the benches are tidy and not affecting the game

Hopefully your local association will have a cup final special shortly (our society often refers to the Sheffield society out of jealousy of your membership numbers!)

Guy whose 4th official for my cup final said he's bringing wine gums. I'm happy with that. I told him if any of the wingers look a bit quick I'll be pulling up with a bad hammy and taking his wine gums off him!

A lot will depend on the day itself - what side the benches are, how far apart they are, where the subs warm-up, how the game goes - as well as how the referee would like you to assist on the day

Sweets help on busy games with people often coming out of their technical areas - so the sweets are used to get the kids (whatever age incl. OA) to go back in the seats ... just helps everyone calm down a little and have a bit of a laugh - but you still need to be firm, fair and consistent when managing the benches

There are Laws and Competition Rules that will tell you how many can stand, etc. - but - often refs may say they are not too fussed about extra people standing / communicating onto the pitch as long as the benches are tidy and not affecting the game

Hopefully your local association will have a cup final special shortly (our society often refers to the Sheffield society out of jealousy of your membership numbers!)
Some good advice there, @Alex71, thanks.

I'll have to have word with the guys at Sheffield because I'm a member of the Doncaster RA but we have a meeting tomorrow night and if I can get there, I'll pose the question.

Guy whose 4th official for my cup final said he's bringing wine gums. I'm happy with that. I told him if any of the wingers look a bit quick I'll be pulling up with a bad hammy and taking his wine gums off him!
This is a big dilemma for me. If I take Haribos, I'll guard them jealously like they're my own and will have to take home what is left. Ditto with the jelly babies. Wine gums could be a good choice as I'm not a great fan.
And what about drinks? Water or lucozade (or similar products are available)? Tea or coffee? Carling or Heineken?

Back