A&H

Open Age Cup Final upcoming

Luke Collins

Managed to get myself a final in my Sunday League in my first season in it, was quite surprised to say the least.
It'll be my first middle working with NAR's, both of who have been in the league for quite a while. I know one of them is 'getting on' to put it politely, so I was wondering how I go about giving pre-match instructions to two officials who probably have a lot more experience than me.
I'll probably be getting assessed/observed as well, just to add a little more to it!

The Referee Store
@Luke Collins Do your pre-match instructions exactly the same as you would for any game with any level of assistants. With experienced guys i do as @richard ramjane has suggested, "Right guys please don't feel like i am teaching you suck eggs but i am going to go through everything as a) i may do something a little different than you are used to and b) it gives me a chance to practice my pre-match.

Especially if the observer wants to listen in on them, if you don't cover something because you assistants are "experienced" and that one thing happens then it could bite you on the ass.

Otherwise congratulations on your cup final, you have clearly done something to impress!!!

Good luck. Enjoy working in a team. When I had my first NARs they were both more experienced than me but as every one says just be clear with your instructions.

Cheers, on the line for a game at the weekend so I'm going to make sure I listen to the refs pre-match instructions so I can take as much from his as possible.

@Luke Collins - one word of advice. Use a script if you don't have it fully memorised. Observers encourage the use of a script to ensure that all salient points are mentioned.

Think others have it covered here - I am sure the more experienced referees will appreciate that you have an observer and let you say your piece.
The 1 thing I would say is that preparation is key. And I dont just mean what you are going to say. Ask your observer if he wants to listen to your pre match when he confirms the game. Then you'll know if you need to wait for his arrival or if you can get on with it straight away.
Ask your assistants to arrive by a certain time allowing plenty of time to complete or travel together. Best to have plenty of time as opposed to rushing through it, in case they are left with any questions.
And as others have said be prepared for what you are going to say and if neccessary have a script or cue cards to guide you through.

Cheers, on the line for a game at the weekend so I'm going to make sure I listen to the refs pre-match instructions so I can take as much from his as possible.

Be careful not to just copy someone else's pre match - it's pointless if you don't know what it means to YOUR game.

I've heard referees doing their first few games with neutral ARs recite someone else's pre match verbatim with little idea what they're actually on about, and then in the game, they do everything totally differently!

And best of luck - cup final in your first season is no mean feat. It's my 7th season as a referee and I got diddly squat.

I had an email from my FA saying I was being considered for a county cup appointment. Brill I thought the email was late yesterday. I then read a bit further and I have to attend on evening training session, again no problems. Its this Wednesday! I am a grown up with kids and have plans that I cant change on Wednesday(Lads first concert with prestgious Youth Orchestra plays double bass so can't even arrange a lift) so looks like I won't get anything. 5 days notice might be alright if you are child but it is the easter holidays. Any way gutted.

I had an email from my FA saying I was being considered for a county cup appointment. Brill I thought the email was late yesterday. I then read a bit further and I have to attend on evening training session, again no problems. Its this Wednesday! I am a grown up with kids and have plans that I cant change on Wednesday(Lads first concert with prestgious Youth Orchestra plays double bass so can't even arrange a lift) so looks like I won't get anything. 5 days notice might be alright if you are child but it is the easter holidays. Any way gutted.

Email them to advise your situation. If I was the RDO then I would be perfectly understanding as long as that date had already been closed by you. If it wasn't closed then I would be less sympathetic as that means you are available to referee on that evening, and therefore would presumably also be available to attend a meeting.

.....and this people is why refs with certain jobs, kids, commitments can never make it up far the ladder!! It gets slippy when you start saying no!!!

..and this people is why refs with certain jobs, kids, commitments can never make it up far the ladder!! It gets slippy when you start saying no!!!

Thats why my ambition is stay at the level I am at. I can't ref during the week due to child commitents, my kids to something every week night. I spend enough time reffing at weekends with out losing evenings.
Email them to advise your situation. If I was the RDO then I would be perfectly understanding as long as that date had already been closed by you. If it wasn't closed then I would be less sympathetic as that means you are available to referee on that evening, and therefore would presumably also be available to attend a meeting.
In Suffolk youth appointments for both Saturdays and Sundays are done by a centralised person at the FA. There are no weekday fixtures so availability is only for weekends. Although there are a few rearranged fixtures now being scheduled for evenings but these are offered out to every one as no one puts avialability during the week. I still think 5 days notice before the easter holidays is very short notice, how many young refs are on holiday. Most of the junior leagues shut down because teams can't get the numbers as there are lots of holidays taken during this period. Any way I will miss out this year as I have an important family commitment..

.....and this people is why refs with certain jobs, kids, commitments can never make it up far the ladder!! It gets slippy when you start saying no!!!

Not at all, I made it to level 3 and stayed there a long time, and I have a very demanding job where I work long hours. For most of the final season I was closed pretty much every midweek date, and they were fine with that as they realised my circumstances necessitated it.

Where referees have problems is when they don't tell the FA / supply league appointing officer that they aren't available and start kicking games back. That annoys people, and do it too often you will run into problems and find your progression stifled.

The main reason I stepped down though was the conflict between work and refereeing commitments. To get to places like Salisbury, Eastleigh, Dover and Forest Green on a Tuesday night I'd have to leave work by 2pm to get home and get the car then set off, which meant getting into work before 7am. Then getting home post midnight, sometimes post 1am and still having to get up for work the next day just got too much for me after 5 years. But it is possible to get to more than a decent level even if you have other commitments.

Thats fair enough RR but to have an employer that lets you do that is i think quite rare! I certainly wouldn't allow any of my staff to do it!!

Secondly, being available at someones beck and call from 2pm to past midnight for quite a small recompense certainly isn't a hobby! Thats someone lifting your leg with the amount of money in the game these days!! Well done though for your efforts in getting there!

Thats fair enough RR but to have an employer that lets you do that is i think quite rare! I certainly wouldn't allow any of my staff to do it!!

Secondly, being available at someones beck and call from 2pm to past midnight for quite a small recompense certainly isn't a hobby! Thats someone lifting your leg with the amount of money in the game these days!! Well done though for your efforts in getting there!

Unless you get to the very top level you don't make money out of refereeing. You have to do it through desire to be involved in the higher levels of the game, those who are just in it for the money won't progress.

You are the main referee, tell them what you want, but make it clear that you trust them and their experience. Make sure you are all on the same page, and are all doing the same thing. Make sure you maintain good eye contact with them, and that they will do as well.

Back