A&H

Darren Ferguson’s Comments

I dont know about your environemt or upbringing but certainly in my work if my boss said " make a mistake and I will shoot you". Questions would be asked!
I have also never been threatened with a shooting for not getting a round in, or forgetting the mums birthday.
Maybe figure of speeches where you are are less respectful
Should we bring back racial insults too, as they were very much figures of speech once.
People in his position and with his public platform to express opinions should really be more articulate than that.
Would you be impressed if after your game the coach came in with your match fee and said "btw I think you should be shot for missing that offside"?
Each to own but for me, that crosses a line between banter, fustration, and is downright unnecessary.

See post 19.

I guess I'm just one of those individuals who doesn't go out of his way to be offended by stuff that doesn't or won't really affect me. ;) :cool:

The Referee Store
if you mean me, I can respect and understand your tolerance level being different to mine. As much as you might not be offended, on the other end of the scale, some people are and will be. Thats what makes life the variety packet that it is. If you deem those comments acceptable in your game, thats up to you. Same as if someone does deem them offensive, thats up to them. There is no right or wrong.

if you mean me, I can respect and understand your tolerance level being different to mine. As much as you might not be offended, on the other end of the scale, some people are and will be. Thats what makes life the variety packet that it is. If you deem those comments acceptable in your game, thats up to you. Same as if someone does deem them offensive, thats up to them. There is no right or wrong.

Absolutely. ;) :cool:

It baffles me this level of hostility and disrespect that seems so embedded in football. Why is treated as a normal expected behaviour of football? I find that claims that this due to it being a passionate sport very laughable! What about rugby? Surely that's highly emotional and testerone levels are jumping through the roof! Ok rant over....

Spot on. However it not all bad - as I posted on another thread - last Saturday I refereed a fast paced, competitive, good standard U16s schools match - not one piece of dissent or bad language from the pitch or sidelines - it IS possible. To blame the 'passion' of the game for bad behaviour is a cop out.

Surely saying "they should be shot" is just an old figure of speech? We have examples of it every day in other areas of life.

If he'd said, "referees should be executed by firing squad" or "that ref should be beaten to death with a claw hammer for not awarding that penalty"then I could understand the perceived outrage on here but frankly, it seems much ado about nowt to me.

There.

I've said it. :rolleyes: :D :p

How are you a referee? Seriously?

See post 19.

I guess I'm just one of those individuals who doesn't go out of his way to be offended by stuff that doesn't or won't really affect me. ;) :cool:

True, it’s extremely unlikely that these comments would affect everyone of us.

But in this age of social media it isnt beyond the realms of imagination that a Doncaster fan with serious mental health issues might decide to search this referee and attempt to do him harm.

Look what happened to that referee who was accused by Jose marinho of speaking to the opposition coach at half time during a champions league game.

I believe he retired from refereeing because of the death threats he was receiving from Chelsea fans, or the threats etc that Howard Webb and his family received after he awarded a penalty or something (possible against Poland).

Reactions: one
True, it’s extremely unlikely that these comments would affect everyone of us.

But in this age of social media it isnt beyond the realms of imagination that a Doncaster fan with serious mental health issues might decide to search this referee and attempt to do him harm.

Look what happened to that referee who was accused by Jose marinho of speaking to the opposition coach at half time during a champions league game.

I believe he retired from refereeing because of the death threats he was receiving from Chelsea fans, or the threats etc that Howard Webb and his family received after he awarded a penalty or something (possible against Poland).

Possibly.

But at the end of the day, he's not responsible for the actions of another individual - especially somebody with mental health issues Zara. ;)

Just as a referee on the field isn't responsible (no matter how crap a game he's having) for the violent conduct or actions of the players he's refereeing.

I just refuse to buy into this "blame culture" rubbish where everything is somebody else's fault or everybody feels shackled or gagged for fear of saying something that somebody somewhere might be "offended" by. The permanently offended Brigade have little else better to do than tut and sqwawk about how terrible somebody's words are. I just have a better handle on what's important in life (and football) mate. :D

I think Zara raises a good point. In theory and in an ideal world, Kes isn't wrong. But we live in a world where a real life referee has quit football because real death threats have been directed at him and his family as a direct result of manager comments. It's absolutely right to condemn managers for trying to stir up that kind of fury directed at match officials who are simply trying to do as good a job as they can.

But at the end of the day, he's not responsible for the actions of another individual - especially somebody with mental health issues Zara. ;)
I am not so sure. If those actions are criminal and he has encouraged them, he can be prosecuted for it. Responsible or not? Thats for the courts to decide.

At least that't my take of the law by watching a lot of TV shows :)

I am not so sure. If those actions are criminal and he has encouraged them, he can be prosecuted for it. Responsible or not? Thats for the courts to decide.

At least that't my take of the law by watching a lot of TV shows :)

Like I said mate - everything is somebody else's fault these days .... ;)

Possibly.

Just as a referee on the field isn't responsible (no matter how crap a game he's having) for the violent conduct or actions of the players he's refereeing.

I just refuse to buy into this "blame culture" rubbish where everything is somebody else's fault or everybody feels shackled or gagged for fear of saying something that somebody somewhere might be "offended" by. The permanently offended Brigade have little else better to do than tut and sqwawk about how terrible somebody's words are. I just have a better handle on what's important in life (and football) mate. :D

He could be guilty of inciting violence but that would depend on how something is said and the exact words used.

If in the extremely unlikely event that some tool did take things into his own hands because of what Ferguson has said then he would at least be heavily scrutinised through the courts, even if he hasn’t actually broken the law himself.

I’m not going to lose sleep over this, but I do think he should face the maximum sanction that the FA can impose.

Back