A&H

Delaying restart

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
29570821_10160251836280471_2603605397987030995_n.jpg
Jamal Blackman playing playground 'Its my ball shortie' with Woods of Brentford. Woods slaps the big fella, big fella retaliates, two easy red cards and an easter break for both!

Why do keepers hold on to the ball after a goal???

The Referee Store
Why do keepers hold on to the ball after a goal???
Who is going to be putting that ball back into play?

The defending team.

Thus, who does that ball "belong" to?

The defending team.

The team that just gave up a goal knows that it's late in the match, it's a tie-game now, i one that they'd been defending on their heels for a good 10-15 minutes. They're taking the opportunity to slow down the match here, to try to take some momentum away from the team that just scored. Something that's perfectly acceptable.

In this case, the whole situation could have been mitigated if the referee had gotten onto the scene sooner, rather than turning away and moving toward half.

In this case, the whole situation could have been mitigated if the referee had gotten onto the scene sooner, rather than turning away and moving toward half.
That’s a little harsh in this instance as the Brentford player ran from about 35 yards out to “get the ball” long after all other players had gone off celebrating and the keeper went to the net.

He actually ran past the referee just outside the area!

If the keeper punted the ball up to the centre circle for kick off, would we be booking the striker for delaying the restart since he's going to hold up the kick off by being on the wrong side of the pitch? :p

Who is going to be putting that ball back into play?

The defending team.

Thus, who does that ball "belong" to?

The defending team.

Whois going to get punted for delaying the restart?

The defending team.

They're taking the opportunity to slow down the match here,... Something that's perfectly acceptable
Unfortunately for them, the laws of the game says differently for doing it when ball is out of play.

Last edited:
That’s a little harsh in this instance as the Brentford player ran from about 35 yards out to “get the ball” long after all other players had gone off celebrating and the keeper went to the net.

And what did the referee do? He's sauntering in to get closer.

You see a player from the scoring team racing 30+ yards to get to that kind of situation? You, as a referee, HAVE to be proactive. Voice, presence.

This situation had neither of these.

Unfortunately for them, the laws of the game says differently for doing it when ball is out of play.
The Laws of the Game omit a lot of things along the way.

But, having said that, what's Law 7 say about reasons for adding time? A goal being scored is one of them. You, as a referee, are going to typically add time on for these. Unless there's something really stupid going on, are you seriously going to card a team for delaying the restart on a kickoff?

You're going to let a team slow things down a bit and walk that ball up to the halfway line. You're going to let everyone know that you're adding a bit of time for it, and you're going to move on.

I really do not understand where this concept of "allow the team that just scored to push and shove to get the ball" comes from.

That’s a little harsh in this instance....

I think you have just undone the argument there. If, as a ref, a lone opposition player is sprinting past you in this situation, then you stop them, and e.g. Point to your watch, so they know no time will be lost due to unfair timewasting. The last thing you do is let them past to face off agsinst the GK for the ball!

But, having said that, what's Law 7 say about reasons for adding time? A goal being scored is one of them. You, as a referee, are going to typically add time on for these. Unless there's something really stupid going on, are you seriously going to card a team for delaying the restart on a kickoff?
Surly you are not saying because law 7 allows you you to add time, you wont caution for delaying the restart. Two completely different things. And by the way Law 7 is not referring to a "goal being scored" as allowance for time lost but for significant delays for all restarts and specific example to "goal celebrations". The team conceding a goal does not celebrate the goal. And yes you do add time on in this case but you would also caution for delaying the restart. Note that Law 7 also lists "Wasting time" as reason for adding time. If you can add time for that, using your logic, you can never caution for delaying the restart.

I really do not understand where this concept of "allow the team that just scored to push and shove to get the ball" comes from.
I don't think there is such concept. Any player pushing and shoving which is deemed unsporting should be cautioned, be it from the scoring or conceding team. What I would say is that I do not understand where this concept of "allow the team that just conceded a goal to deliberately delay the kick-off" came from. Laws of the game are clear. You are allowing a team to use something that is illegal to their tactical advantage (adding time doesn't take away that tactical advantage). Delaying the restart is a caution independent of adding time.

For me these incidents are common because last weeks referee allowed the keeper to get away with it or it happens in televised games without being punished.

Having said all that, be proactive to prevent it, manage it as much as you can, but if it escalates to the extend of obvious delaying tactic then caution the keeper, or if any aggressive push and shove then a caution the offender. It will stop it from happening again and you would be doing next week's referee a favour too.

Last edited:
Back