A&H

Deliberate handball goal - always yellow?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Awkward one today with no ARs. Good quality 35+ teams. Floodlit bermuda grass.
Blue striker has been cautioned already for an overly zealous tackle from behind. But no needle in the game.
From a corner, blue striker deliberately handles the ball into then net.
From my angle I could not see the exact hand to ball. But I could see he didn't head it and the reactions of both sets of players made it easy to quickly whistle and award the FK.

However, I did not produce the second yellow. I felt I couldn't caution for an offence I didn't see. Even though I was 100% sure it had taken place. I explained this to red captain after the game and he was fine.

Sod's law though. A minute later blue striker challenges the red keeper and breaks his rib. Without excessive force, fair attempt, but a foul and a FK. And then 2 mins after that he scores the game breaking goal.

The law is clear:
"There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour is required
when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a player:
• deliberately handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession
• attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball"

...what would you have done?

The Referee Store
I feel like you already know the answer to this question :)
I can understand your reluctance though

What happened with the challenge on the keeper?

As @CapnBloodbeard says, I suspect you already know the answer.

If you didn't see it, you shouldn't give it at all; once you have, there's really no option but to issue the card. Still, mistakes happen. Learn from it and move on!

Surely because the keeper broke his ribs in the challenge it is a red card for the striker!! (Disclaimer: Joke relating to the show thread :) )

Sorry @santa sangria - I'm a +1 for the above 2 posts. If you give a handball free kick for this, it's a caution. I see your logic in your actions and it's a soft second caution, but it's still a caution. That said, we have all done things similar to this from time to time, so your not alone! Live and learn mate.

The keeper incident is unfortunate. Sadly happens from time to time. Its not your fault - just one of those things.

om a corner, blue striker deliberately handles the ball into then net.
From my angle I could not see the exact hand to ball. But I could see he didn't head it and the reactions of both sets of players made it easy to quickly whistle and award the FK.

I'm confused by this bit ^

How can you say the player deliberately handled the ball in to the goal but then say you didn't see it?

I believe you know it's a yellow but hey, we learn and move on.

...because I can tell from all the players and the position of his head.
But yes, in retrospect, I should have gone balls out here. If I am going to commit to the FK, it has to be yellow.
In the end I used the poor visibility to avoid what could have been perceived as a soft second yellow. And it did affect the game.
I regretted it at the time. Yes, I will learn from it.

So great you've spotted something you can learn and change next time.

What about all the things you did well in the game? I'd love to hear about those.

...because I can tell from all the players and the position of his head.
But yes, in retrospect, I should have gone balls out here. If I am going to commit to the FK, it has to be yellow.
In the end I used the poor visibility to avoid what could have been perceived as a soft second yellow. And it did affect the game.
I regretted it at the time. Yes, I will learn from it.

If it makes you feel better, there's been a couple of times (particularly involving mandatory red cards) where I've 'wussed out' of making the correct decision. And each time I knew I was doing the wrong thing, but just wanted to do the right thing by the game. and each of those times I still know, years later, that I did the wrong thing. Sure, what I did didn't cause problems, but that doesn't make it right.

So, my point is, I've made the same mistakes. What's important is that you take something away from it. i'm glad you brought it to the forum :)

I used the poor visibility to avoid what could have been perceived as a soft second yellow

Crybaby - thanks for your posting. We've all been in the posistion where we know we have made the wrong decision. What is important is that we move on and become better referees as a result. Incidentally I don't consider this as a soft caution. It's intended as a punishment for a player who has deliberatey handled the ball to score a goal - in football this would be broadly accepted but in other sports it would be consdiered cheating. I remember cautioning a player for this once and his response was "well, it was worth a try".

Good points.
So great you've spotted something you can learn and change next time.
What about all the things you did well in the game? I'd love to hear about those.
There were a couple. Gave an IDFK on the 6 yd box for a back pass, that was good, technical, satisfying.
And I broke up a potential flash point. It is very rare I actually touch a player but I did separate two - helped that I knew them a little.
And I gave a yellow for a rugby tackle followed by a yellow to the fouled player. He complained so much that I threatened a yellow with a tap to the pocket, then he let off a couple of F-words, and thus was cautioned.
And I did spot a deliberate handball goal - did I mention that!?!

Bloke pushed an opponent in the face at the end of last season. Red card. I gave him a yellow as I knew that a red would mean him missing a cup final.
Shame on me.

Well as we all know, according the laws of the sometimes beautiful game, by definition all handball decisions given by the referee are considered "deliberate". :)

Watched a lot of Spanish football in recent years because of Sky's coverage. Interesting that virtually every handball decision is followed by a yellow card regardless of where the offence took place on the pitch.

Awkward one today with no ARs. Good quality 35+ teams. Floodlit bermuda grass.
Blue striker has been cautioned already for an overly zealous tackle from behind. But no needle in the game.
From a corner, blue striker deliberately handles the ball into then net.

However, I did not produce the second yellow. I felt I couldn't caution for an offence I didn't see. Even though I was 100% sure it had taken place. I explained this to red captain after the game and he was fine.

Sod's law though. A minute later blue striker challenges the red keeper and breaks his rib. Without excessive force, fair attempt, but a foul and a FK. And then 2 mins after that he scores the game breaking goal.

The law is clear:
"There are circumstances when a caution for unsporting behaviour is required
when a player deliberately handles the ball, e.g. when a player:
• deliberately handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession
• attempts to score a goal by deliberately handling the ball"

...what would you have done?
dont beat yourself up about it. learn from it and dont rely on players reactions, some players tell fibs

Back