A&H

Dementia in ex-footballers

Strange world we live in. One in which risk is hyped and misunderstood. Life and risk are interchangeable. The perils of football are eclipsed by Fortnite addiction and childhood obesity

It is indeed a strange world - after all America has a ban on Kinder eggs on grounds of the risks associated with concealing a toy in food (choking hazard) :-S .
Non-the-less as referees we are all familiar with the onus on safety in our sport (equipment checks, concussion, shin pads, cup-hooks on goalposts...) and the FA will be looking to do more research on this subject and presumably introduce some countermeasure if it is seen as necessary

The Referee Store
Can’t we just wrap them all in cotton wool!
I hate this legislative route we seem to be going down... I await a block claim on the FA and EPL, they’ve loads of money and lawyers always want a piece of it!

Can’t we just wrap them all in cotton wool!
I hate this legislative route we seem to be going down... I await a block claim on the FA and EPL, they’ve loads of money and lawyers always want a piece of it!

I've heard of a player who didn't wear shinpads and then tried to sue the referee and County FA for getting injured! Doh!

Ultimately we participate in a voluntary sport - if they don't want to take the risk then they should take up tiddly winks or something !

I fear we're sliding down the Nanny Slope towards headers being outlawed along with HB. It will apply to young age-groups first and gradually creep into adult football. By which time boxing will be a distant memory

Strange world we live in. One in which risk is hyped and misunderstood. Life and risk are interchangeable. The perils of football are eclipsed by Fortnite addiction and childhood obesity

What he said .... ^ ^ ^

Wait, what? The media got something wrong?!? I suppose it's possible that there are states that have imposed the restriction on older youth as well, but I haven't heard of it. (I probably would have, but its possible I missed it.) The USSF ban is about 4 years old.
I've been following this subject quite closely and to the best of my knowledge you are correct. It's a nationwide ban in the US but only for U-10 and so far, I have seen nothing to indicate a ban on older players heading the ball in any individual states.

Back