A&H

DFK at the end of the offence or the start?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues
holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

But what if it's not a penalty kick?
Can you spot the foul at the end of the offence?

Had a game today that went very well. Two well drilled assistants. We tried to find some things to learn. One assistant commented on DFK spot. Attacker was wrestled to the ground. Holding started 5m outside the box, ended 1m outside with them in a heap. Assistant said that the laws do not support me spotting the DFK at the end of the offence and I should have spotted it at the start. What say ye?

The Referee Store
It doesn’t explicitly say it - the only instance you can is if it’s into the box. It is, however, implicit, and I think most refs (and indeed players) would be fine with this interpretation.

My last game of the season I had a player brought down in the area both arms on him & it started outside the box easy to give.

Tbh I’d go with what u did, give it where it finished.

Depends, you could have played advantage for 3m and then penalised a later foul committed whilst playing advantage, multiple offences e.g. holding and pulling and maybe a trip at the end.
I think the laws stating that holding into the area is a pen invokes law 18, for me, and common sense says that should apply to fouls outside the box too

Depends, you could have played advantage for 3m and then penalised a later foul committed whilst playing advantage, multiple offences e.g. holding and pulling and maybe a trip at the end.
I think the laws stating that holding into the area is a pen invokes law 18, for me, and common sense says that should apply to fouls outside the box too
I also think it's common sense that we should also apply the continuing logic to non-penalties...

As the foul has occurred continuously over a distance, i would say award it at the place most advantageous to the team receiving the kick (start or end of it).

Common sense, and what the game expects, of course. But the laws don't explicitly state this.

Always consider that depending on where the player is running, it might actually be more beneficial to award it at the start of it, or at the first offence.

Glad to see we're all clear on the 'award it where it's most advantageous' idea.
"If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues
holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

But what if it's not a penalty kick?
Can you spot the foul at the end of the offence?

Had a game today that went very well. Two well drilled assistants. We tried to find some things to learn. One assistant commented on DFK spot. Attacker was wrestled to the ground. Holding started 5m outside the box, ended 1m outside with them in a heap. Assistant said that the laws do not support me spotting the DFK at the end of the offence and I should have spotted it at the start. What say ye?
I'd argue that AR doesn't understand the laws.
For one, you can put his argument back to him - He can't find anything in the laws to support his position. Not even to imply it.
You, on the other hand, can find 2 areas to support it. Given the PK one, it would make absolutely no sense for the exact opposite to be applied when a PK is not involved. No sense whatsoever.
There's also advantage which supports it. If holding went for 5 metres, then you played advantage on 0.00m, 0.1m, 0.2m.........4.9m, to award the FK on the foul at 5m.

I'd actually argue that not only does your AR's interpretation not make sense and also demonstrates a key misunderstanding on how the laws actually work (that you need to use intent of the laws and precedent in other sections), but that his would actually go against the LOTG.

Back