A&H

Did I do the right thing?

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Second easiest game of my life today (after an academy game). However, before kick off the away team manager told me they only had 11 and one of his players didn’t have a kit. The bibs he had were dark blue (clashed with the away team quite badly and yellow (clashed with me because I was wearing my yellow kit due to the home team’s kit being very dark blue) and red. I said to use the red one although this was different to the rest of his team who were in sky blue. Was this the right thing to do? It was a fairly uncompetitive game with a friendly atmosphere. Both managers happy with the decision for him to play in red.

The Referee Store
Not really, but at lower levels you'd probably be given credit for getting the game played and letting all participants play. Once you get beyond the lowest rung though they need to have the correct kit.

Not really, but at lower levels you'd probably be given credit for getting the game played and letting all participants play. Once you get beyond the lowest rung though they need to have the correct kit.
Yeah, if it was a higher level they wouldn’t have played but because of the spirit of the game and the fact they had no subs I felt it was unfair to immediately have them down to 10 men

Yeah, if it was a higher level they wouldn’t have played but because of the spirit of the game and the fact they had no subs I felt it was unfair to immediately have them down to 10 men

It's quite clear now in black and white that if a minor issue arises, the referee should use common sense at the lower echelons of the game. At amateur level, the game itself is more important that kit infringements etc. Whether what you did was the best decision is debatable but what isn't in question is that you followed the IFAB advice to get the game on. Well done. A prominent member of my RA reffed the match next to me in a bib last week (I know I know). He decided that this was common sense to get the game on and therefore he was right, even if it wasn't the best course of action at the time.

Forcing a team to play with 10 because they were short on kit in amateur football could only be considered absolutely ridiculous imo.

I imagine once you are talking about supply league or above, deviations from the team kit would just be a complete no no but there are far better and more experienced refs on here who could advise on that

It's quite clear now in black and white that if a minor issue arises, the referee should use common sense at the lower echelons of the game. At amateur level, the game itself is more important that kit infringements etc. Whether what you did was the best decision is debatable but what isn't in question is that you followed the IFAB advice to get the game on. Well done. A prominent member of my RA reffed the match next to me in a bib last week (I know I know). He decided that this was common sense to get the game on and therefore he was right, even if it wasn't the best course of action at the time.

Forcing a team to play with 10 because they were short on kit in amateur football could only be considered absolutely ridiculous imo.

I imagine once you are talking about supply league or above, deviations from the team kit would just be a complete no no but there are far better and more experienced refs on here who could advise on that
I think as soon as you've gone through one promotion and move onto Senior County Leagues, kit issues should be enforced. But for Parks Football, I'd rather be banned by the FA for something trivial or miss out on a promotion than get in the way of participation

I think as soon as you've gone through one promotion and move onto Senior County Leagues, kit issues should be enforced. But for Parks Football, I'd rather be banned by the FA for something trivial or miss out on a promotion than get in the way of participation

If I was band from parks football for a trivial matter like that i wouldn't stick the whistle in the bin and get the golf clubs out again! Anyway, let's move on

Back