A&H

Did this today

Brian Hamilton

RefChat Addict
Observer/Tutor
If a player makes unauthorised marks on the field of play with his foot, he must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

The Referee Store
Please tell me you warned the player first??

Very harsh otherwise imo
I didn't get a chance to warn him. I hadn't even kicked off the game.

Also why should I warn him? I don't warn about offside offences. I will warn players where they might commit an offence involving another player but not his offence.

I had 4 free kicks in the first half after that though.

Most players don't know they can't do it and will be very surprised to receive a caution... Surely shouting across at him to pack it in would do the job?? Just my opinion...

Am I right to assume that it was a keeper that you cautioned, brian
Often dangerous to assume but correct on this occasion. He made a deliberate marking action by dragging his heel across the midpoint of the boundary of the penalty area to mark the halfway point of his goal. Did it about 4 times leaving a deep mark about 50cm long.

And I bet he does it every week... When I played out keeper used to do 3 of these at intervals in his half of the pitch... Never brought up on it once

:rolleyes:

That's because a lot of referees are not very good at applying mandatory cautions, Callum
They prefer to be popular and earn club marks so that when someone comes along and does the job right, it is THEY who get grief. To be fair to him, the goalkeeper just shrugged and accepted it.

I always did this too. Never got picked up on but I knew it was a yellow if I got caught, still took the risk though ;)

Whilst I agree that this is a caution, am I going to go out on a Sunday morning on my own with a bunch of meatheads and caution a 'keeper before the match has even started for an action that is pretty much common place at that level? Am I ********, even though I know fine well it is correct in law. There are occasions where this is asking for trouble from the word go. A quiet word will do...

'Keeper, don't be doing that, it's a cautionable offence, if I see it again then you'll be cautioned'. Sorted.

Whilst I agree that this is a caution, am I going to go out on a Sunday morning on my own with a bunch of meatheads and caution a 'keeper before the match has even started for an action that is pretty much common place at that level? Am I ********, even though I know fine well it is correct in law. There are occasions where this is asking for trouble from the word go. A quiet word will do...

'Keeper, don't be doing that, it's a cautionable offence, if I see it again then you'll be cautioned'. Sorted.
matt, I agree but this game had previous and one of the teams had 3 players sent off and were charged with further misconduct by County just 4 weeks ago. A caution like this seems cheap but both sets of players said they expected at least 3 players sent off in this game after that early caution. In truth I had 2 more cautions and 22 handshakes. Some players even came back for a second handshake and a chat afterwards. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Quite... Personally I prefer to referee to expectations.

(Cue backlash)
giphy.gif

matt, I agree but this game had previous and one of the teams had 3 players sent off and were charged with further misconduct by County just 4 weeks ago. A caution like this seems cheap but both sets of players said they expected at least 3 players sent off in this game after that early caution. In truth I had 2 more cautions and 22 handshakes. Some players even came back for a second handshake and a chat afterwards. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.
On a side note, I though you gave up being an active referee at the end of last season??

Makes a bit more sense in that context, Brian, yes. Personally I still think this is really cheap, especially before a game. As a spectator/player I think it would just get my back up. Perhaps if a 'keeper was making marks during the game, particularly during an edge-of-the-area FK, or even a PK, then I'd expect it more as a spectator/player.

Flipping it on it's head a little bit here, if you saw this happening in a match where you were assessing, would you mention it in the report if the referee did not penalise for it, even if he/she saw it taking place?

what ever happened to common sence?

Start with warning then booking.

Did you book him before the game started?

"If a player makes unauthorised marks on the fi eld of play with his foot, he
must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being
done during the match, he must caution the offending player for unsporting
behaviour when the ball next goes out of play."

If you fancy ignoring the LOTG for the sake of keeping a player happy then that's up to you but we are there to enforce the LOTG and they state a player MUST be cautioned for this.

Back