A&H

Dismissing Club Official - Guidelines

WilliamD

Level 4 Referee
Laws state we can dismiss a manager, club official etc - got that (let's not get into the medical staff intricacies)

...but are there guidelines from anyone (leagues? IFAB?) on what constitutes not acting in a "reasonable manner".

I managed the benches poorly in my match last week. The away team are famously "vocal" and they were on form in that regard on the day. The manager, assistant manager, and trainer all agued loudly and in unison nearly every call. I went over and warned them half way through the 1H and had a chat on the way into the dressing room at HT - I said - look it's getting a bit much calm it down in the 2H or you'll force my hand. I had NARs but AR1 was no match for the bench.

Second half started and they picked up where they left off. To make it worse I awarded the home team a (no brainer) pen and they went up. Short while later play was over near the benches and all three of them are standing having a go at me. Ball went out of play and I went over and.............warned them again. Idiot. I know you can't warn twice, I know I should of binned him there...

My thinking on not dismissing was that if I dismissed the manager the other two would just pick up where he left off and I'd end up having more trouble from them until eventually dismissing the other two. I was also thinking (in-between actually refereeing) - what are the actual guidelines for dismissal? They weren't actually hugely offensive, not really swearing but definitely undermining (worst referee ever, Sunday referee, ruining the game etc etc). Clearly trying to intimidate the referee is part of their game.

Have searched around a bit and it seems to be a matter of "in the opinion of the referee" to dismiss if a club official is not acting in a "reasonable manner"...perhaps someone can point me to some guidelines or share your approach or where you draw the line.

The Referee Store
The simple answer is treat them as if they were players but use the ask, tell, remove steps. Anything from a player which is dissent, its a step on the tell and remove if it was from a team official.

Ask: its as if you are warning the player
Tell: its his first caution for dissent
Remove: second caution dissent and he is gone.

Multiple team officials are on the dissent, same as multiple players, get the loudest one. Just like with players, never ignore dissent from team officials. And again, just like with players, if not dealt with properly, it escalates.

The yellow/red cards for managers doesn't need to be trialled. It is a good idea and it will calm down officials who are crossing the line. I know when it comes in there will be the horror stories of a coach being dismissed for sneezing at the wrong time for example but on the whole it is a great idea and should be brought in asap

I've not been in this position but think great idea to use the step approach.

Ask the coach (or relevant person) are they aware of the step approach when giving you a mouthful.

Explain to them
Its ASK, TELL, REMOVE
I've asked you, Im now telling you, next time you will be removed.

For what it's worth, I've never regretted sending off a team official. I've never looked back and though 'that was a bit harsh'.

I have, however, regretted not sending off a team official - or not sending them off early enough.

Agree with above, plenty times have driven home, esp after being an AR, wondering why I put up with so much sh1t today...
No medals given out for saving Wee Jimmy with the wooly hat from a report!

Today, if I feel any coach is putting me, or the players, off their game, is treading a fine line.
Remember, the coach is there to, well, coach. Not issue a running commentory on your game.
Do I shout at them to change to a 4-5-1 or to push their left back further up the park? No. In return, I dont accept being given guideance from them.

Once got some grief from a teacher at a school game, the head master none the less.
I calmy went over and in front of his kids said, "how would you like it if I stormed into your classroom and spoke to you like that? Well, see this pitch, this is MY classroom, so show me the respect that you crave"
Belittled him a bit, maybe so. Got my point across. I think so.

I was once accused of playing the religious card when asking a black player to remove track suit bottoms from his person before a game. He said that in his religion it was against the teachings to show his bare legs..... I smiled and said, 'sonny, today you are in my church, and in my church we have rules too, but today I will give you a choice, If you take them off you can continue to be in my congregation, otherwise you'll be watching on the side!!!'

Back