A&H

Dissent (By Word or Action)

BigDaddyMac

Level 7 Referee
My first ever game was a vets match where the away team were all very vocal in challenging each and every decision made. At one stage, one of the away side came up to me, looked at me, then looked at the Ref badge on my shirt and then looked back at me quizzically. Clearly, he was silently suggesting the fact that I was a qualified ref. In your opinion, is this enough in itself to warrant a yellow for dissent (by word or action)? - I didn't show a card at the time but in retrospect belive that I probably should have?

The Referee Store
If it felt like dissent to you at the time, then that's exactly what it was mate. ;) :)

Looking at the badge then looking back at you ??

I woudnt think twice ,Yellow

I had one at the weekend, he cheered and clapped loudly when I gave an offside to his team. That cost him a tenner. Told another player one more word and he mumbled to his team mates about stepping back another yard and so true to my word out came the yellow. It's amazing how they stop being arses when the cards come out.

My first ever game was a vets match where the away team were all very vocal in challenging each and every decision made. At one stage, one of the away side came up to me, looked at me, then looked at the Ref badge on my shirt and then looked back at me quizzically. Clearly, he was silently suggesting the fact that I was a qualified ref. In your opinion, is this enough in itself to warrant a yellow for dissent (by word or action)? - I didn't show a card at the time but in retrospect belive that I probably should have?
I'd have asked him if he wanted to buy it and then told him it would cost him a tenner

That's something you learn in time mate, by evaluating situations afterwards and asking yourself the question 'Could I have done more?' exactly as you have here mate. Keep challenging yourself, it's the best way to learn.

Given the circumstances you mention I would absolutely have cautioned, along with a lecture detailing my disapproval and bought the captain in at the same time, as if you are about to lecture about something like that he's guaranteed to try and argue back the classic 'but I didn't say anything did I?' B/S.

Lecture would go a little like this:
(Talk to captain but with player there, all for the benefit of the player)
'Skipper (use his name if you made a note at the toss - always helps) the player seems to think he's being clever by sarcastically inspecting my county badge, which is about to earn him a caution. We all know the statement he was trying to make. You need to make it clear to the player that this behaviour is not acceptable and I will not accept it on the FOP today. You have not heard me criticise the skills or abilities of any player here today and I expect the same in return. If that level of respect cannot be maintained I will look to caution at every player at every available opportunity. Thank you.

Then complete the caution, and enter into no debate whatsoever. Really take your time and give it the massive positive, confident authority body language throughout.

Back