A&H

DISSENT-CAN COACHES EVEN READ

IslandReferee

Preseason U18 game today. New coaches all around for the home team. Apparently, the head coach was a professional baller somewhere like I really care about any of that. Take note, I have two brand new assistant. One is solid, the other needs some work. Tough close no call on a thru ball near top of 18, attacker scores. She calls of all things offsides a couple of times and decides to let us all know that it was offsides by 8 yards. I mean 8 yards? At this point she is getting a few words from me, I inform her to not argue with the call in which informs me that she is allowed to argue with the call on the field. I call her bluff and ask her to read the good book.

I could send them a few experts from the LOTG but I doubt anyone would read it nor care for it much.

Three yellows, two on players and one for the coach. What a piece of work and I will see her again im sure.

The Referee Store
She is shouting medium loudly and I can hear and that is all that matters. Mind you I am on a serious push for zero tolerance towards referee abuse here. And we are on a very small rock here in the Pacific. My young AR was rattled as well because of the parents calling for infractions. I personally should have maybe not put him on the spectator side but at halftime, I walked the home team assistant coach over and spoke very loudly to whoever was speaking to stop.

She is shouting medium loudly and I can hear and that is all that matters. Mind you I am on a serious push for zero tolerance towards referee abuse here. And we are on a very small rock here in the Pacific. My young AR was rattled as well because of the parents calling for infractions. I personally should have maybe not put him on the spectator side but at halftime, I walked the home team assistant coach over and spoke very loudly to whoever was speaking to stop.

I was asking cos if its semi personal conversation between the officials then ok, she is allowed her say and absolutely you are entitled to shout her down
If as it seems its public then unless you have dropped the biggest clanger of all time and she is the one bailing you out, (a routine offside does not appear to be thus) then you sound perfectly correct to remind her who is in charge.
I cant make out the post, she tried to say the scorer at the goal was 8 yards off and you allowed the goal?
Either somebody is offside or they are not, the distance by which they are deemed offside is irrelevant.
I have a picture in my head that you have given a goal and she is standing on sideline with flag up screaming "offside, 8 yards offside?" That would indeed be awkward I guess.
Certainly a reminder of the chain of command post match might be beneficial. If nothing else, if you have correctly? Given a goal and your AR is shouting that, then one of you is looking extremely inept...

On the plus side then, pre season games are a good place for not just players, but the officials, to get up to speed for the competitive season ahead

Exactly. I try to curb the bs early. I called the game very tight, one PK and two yellows is more than I have given in the past. I am into being very proactive but I may be a dying breed at the youth level?

How much dissent do you take before you take action? That is the question of the day.

From the AR? Well I would be proactive now that you know going forward in games to come that she might just have too much to say, on the flip side, you dont want to lose her trust or shatter her confidence.
Next pre match would def be amended slightly to cover potential dispute re on field matters
If it continued say in the first half of the next game, I would then make it crystal at ht that at threat of removal from duties, her dissent stops here and now
On the flip side if things run smoothly I would be complimentary and let it be known I was much more pleased with how things went today and this is the standard I expect from now going forwards

Yes...there is a good chance I posted this a few hours after match having had a couple of Kona wheat ales.....and great advice Myrus on the compliment if they start behaving.

Back