A&H

Dissent

JRef

Level 7 Referee
Hi all,

I was just wondering if I could get some clarification on dissent and sending-off offences.

At what point do I deem it as dissent and at what point do I deem it as a sending-off offence.?
Does the same rule apply to managers?
What is the rule for incidents before and after the game?

Many Thanks

The Referee Store
Dissent is a verbal and/or physical show of disagreement with the referee or assistant referee's opinion/decision, and with no offensive/insulting/abusive language included.
Verbal dissent comes in many phrases, the most regular being the likes of "You're having a laugh, ref" and "That's a joke, referee - how can you give that?" (usually loudly and with feeling!)
Gestures which often occur in this capacity include slamming the ball down when a free kick or throw is awarded to the opposition, an obvious gesture (e.g. arms raised to the heavens) showing disagreement with a decision, etc.
The sending off offence is the use of offensive, insulting and/or abusive language.
Your level of acceptance will be different to that of other referees, and you may elect to warn/advise players or club officials early that dissent and/or language is unacceptable (e.g. "If I hear that sort of language again you will be going off")
Always consider whether the language is acceptable in the context of the game, and the surroundings - e.g. if there is a children's play area adjacent, a lot of spectators who may be unhappy with the language being used, etc., you can use that as a reason for players to reduce/stop the language usage.
The language does not need to be aimed at you - may be at a team-mate, the player himself of herself, an opponent, or the world in general - to be a dismissal offence.
The same approach applies for coaches, managers, etc.
Set your standard publicly early in the game - "cut the language, 5" - as this then sets up the players for any action later.
The question of pre-match issues of this type is explained fully at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-5---the-referee, and this shows what to do with any problems on arrival, and then the period after entering the field of play before the start of play.
Any post-match comments/gestures/unacceptable behaviour can be reported as misconduct after the match through whichever system is in place on your league.
I hope that helps, JRef

Dissent is language or actions that deliberately undermine your position of authority.

OFFINABUS is... OFFINABUS. Language or gestures that you find offensive, insulting or abusive.

You’ll find your own tolerance levels, as well as those expected of you at certain levels. Note that “foul language” is not mentioned in the LotG.

OFFINABUS is the sending off offence you refer to.

I'm assuming we are only talking about what is directed at you here. Every OFFINABUS is dissent too (punish the more serious offence), but not all dissents are OFFINABUS . How do you tell the difference? If you are offended or insulted then it's OFFINABUS.

Everyone has a different tolerance level for what's offensive. But my general rule is, if it's about my decision it's unlikely to be offensive. If it's about me as a person it's likely to be offensive. For example "that was a fu*king joke" is dissent but "you are a fu*king joke" is OFFINABUS .

And if you haven't looked at it, there is a list of items in Law 12 with respect to manager (and other non-player) misbehavior.

OFFINABUS is the sending off offence you refer to.

I'm assuming we are only talking about what is directed at you here. Every OFFINABUS is dissent too (punish the more serious offence), but not all dissents are OFFINABUS . How do you tell the difference? If you are offended or insulted then it's OFFINABUS.

Everyone has a different tolerance level for what's offensive. But my general rule is, if it's about my decision it's unlikely to be offensive. If it's about me as a person it's likely to be offensive. For example "that was a fu*king joke" is dissent but "you are a fu*king joke" is OFFINABUS .
Not every OFFINABUS is dissent. Telling a referee they'll be useless because they're overweight/wear glasses/have ginger hair, beforehand the game even starts are not about the decision at all because there haven't been any, but are offensive or insulting or abusive.

You have a point but a moot one because as you say they are all offensive. But in my game, if I don't consider them offensive I will consider them dissent and I will find a way to make it fit the definition :) E.g it is about my decision to wear glasses. If you don't like that, lets make it USB. The point is they can't throw sh!t at you and get away with it. There has to be some sanction. Go with the most serious sanction that fits.

lots of good advice, but to simplify it:

"that's fu**ing sh*t ref" is dissent and a yellow/sin bin
"You're fu**ing sh*t ref" is OFFINABUS and a red.

The challenge comes because everyone's tolerance is different and there are many grey areas as an example:

"How much are they paying you, ref?"

You might see that as being OFFINABUS as it's implying you are taking money to favour the opposition team and I know refs that would send off for it.

Likewise I know of refs that would see it as dissent and give a yellow.

In some cases the ref might choose to come back with a response like "£40, same as I get every weekend" and take no further action.

It's a really difficult topic to advise on as whilst there are some incidents that are so clearly falling into the category of OFFINABUS or dissent, there are many that aren't that easy to categorise and those are the ones that can be argued either way (and on this forum will be argued to death)!

DO NOT warn players or club officials that such and such will result in such and such!
Just digging yourself a hole.
Not your job to pre-warn them
Despite what they claim, no player was ever sent off for "nothing"

Last edited:
Back