A&H

Do any of you referee academy games ?

The Referee Store
I used to referee alot of South Yorkshire academy matches until I moved down to Gloucestershire last Winter. Just clarify what you mean by "what your options on them are"

I used to referee alot of South Yorkshire academy matches until I moved down to Gloucestershire last Winter. Just clarify what you mean by "what your options on them are"
Do you like them. Opinion on players attitudes,coaches, yellows and red cards being discouraged

I think that they are a doubled edged sword. Yes, they are a great place to start your refing journey as they are (typically) a safe environment to develop, but at the same time I think they set unrealistic expectations for referees just starting for example cards being discouraged and a lack of exposure to different types of game situation. IMO there is nothing wrong with them if you are aware of this difference between academy and Sunday league football, and I would be happy to do academy game if and when I can!

Do you like them. Opinion on players attitudes,coaches, yellows and red cards being discouraged

Yeah I enjoyed them. Coaches are no problem on the whole. Sometimes I've had some very green young officials on the line which have caused a few comments but I just explained that academy's are learning arenas for young officials as well as players and thats always accepted (no league tables until u18s). I've given a straight red in a Sheffield u16 derby and one yellow in about 20 games. Yes there's an expectation to not card but I've never really had any issues apart from one shocking tackle where anything other than a straight red would just have been unacceptable. Obviously the facilities are great and the football is a high standard. It's alot more predictable because the ball is usually on the deck so in many ways it's easier than the adult leagues I do.

In summary, go and do some games

The best games to do and the easiest for sure.

No parents.
Coaches and players generally respectful.
You can tell were the ball will normally be.
Great facilties.

Whats not to like.

Love them - hate going back to youth games in the pm - for some reason they feel the afternoon game has more pressure - think that speaks volumes about GRF managers. 🤔

I’ve normally do them at Birmingham’s training ground but got it at their first team ground (St Andrews) this weekend for a middle. Far prefer it and for a young ref like myself I feel with the experienced linos or when I’m on the line the high level middles, I can learn a whole lot from it. I have options for 9-16 middle then line for 18s where the middle is a 4. It’s also very focussed on development not just for players but refs aswell there so a great environment to learn. Couldn’t recommend it any higher

100% it's the best place to develop and gain confidence, whilst not having to face the 'challenges' in Adult/Youth GRF.

Coaches are usually respectful and football is usually played in the right way.

Speak to your local CFA and see if you can get involved!!

Back