A&H

Do you have to signal using particular hands or can you use any hand?

newref

I was just wondering, when we signal for a goal kick, penalty kick, or offside, is there a particular hand this must be done in or can it be either as long as it's clear?

The Referee Store
As R or AR?

As R, the best practice is to use the arm that leaves your body most open to where most of the players are. For a goal kick, in a standard diagonal, that would typically be your left hand, which leaves you facing the middle of the field and your AR. If you're solo, you could end up in different places, which could give you different best choices.

As an AR, same basic concept, use your right hand (standard diagonal) so that the flag is away from the referee, not closing your body to him.

Rob, how did you get so many cautions and reds in 7 games? Which league do you referee? Is it the UFC league? ;p

I'm fairly strict, that's all it is.

In the past I was told I was a weak referee who didn't utilise his cards. In all my assessments since I've been able to return to refereeing I have been commended as utilising the cards correctly at the appropriate times and consistently across the 90 minutes. In fact, my only negative in that area is that I missed a caution in one match so... :cry:

I don't see it as a high card count tbh, it works out as an average of 4 cautions per game, which isn't much IMO. My average last season was 3.8 (or 1.9 home cautions and 1.9 away cautions). The model of consistency I guess. :rolleyes::redcard:

I'm fairly strict, that's all it is.

In the past I was told I was a weak referee who didn't utilise his cards. In all my assessments since I've been able to return to refereeing I have been commended as utilising the cards correctly at the appropriate times and consistently across the 90 minutes. In fact, my only negative in that area is that I missed a caution in one match so... :cry:

I don't see it as a high card count tbh, it works out as an average of 4 cautions per game, which isn't much IMO. My average last season was 3.8 (or 1.9 home cautions and 1.9 away cautions). The model of consistency I guess. :rolleyes::redcard:
The national average is just over two yellow cards per game. According to my RDO
I'm yet to average over 2 per game, although i'm likely to be Mr. Average this season based on games so far

Whether you're AR or in the middle, golden rule is not to signal across your body. This is so ingrained in me that I'll really have to try hard not to trust a CAR more just because they swap hands before flagging! And similarly, if a CAR mentions that "they're a ref", the one thing that will make me know they're fibbing is if I see a lazy cross-body flag.

So as @socal lurker suggests, this means that as an AR (assuming standard LB side), you'll be flagging for most things with your right hand - the only exception being defensive FK's and throws.

As referee, you've got a lot more flexibility, and I'd generally say that the correct answer depends how exactly you happen to be orientated in the moment. The only other bit of advice I try to follow is to keep my hand palm down for signalling GK's (and never whistle unless you're stopping play because the ball's only just gone out), signal above head height for a corner (with a quick peep of the whistle if there's any chance of confusion with a GK) and chest height, palm vertical for a penalty (big blast on the whistle of course). Not sure how much of a difference it really makes, but I think anything you can do to avoid making people think you've given a penalty when you haven't can't hurt.

Back