A&H

Do you....?

Do you blow your whistle after a goal

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • Sometimes (write below what situation)

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
The Referee Store
Not if i can help it. Only time i would is if its a tight one, and people are asking if its over the line or not

As above, only if there's a question about whether it's crossed the line, or some other reason there may be questions about the validity of the goal, calls for offside or handball etc

very rarely ... but only if its a case of confirming the ball has crossed the line but for whatever reason has emerged back onto FOP... i cant think of any other time ive done it .
much like if play continues on the touch, or goal line,with players assuming the ball hasnt gone out of play, AR (or yourself) indicating otherwise

same as above. Blowing the whistle when there is a clear and undisputed goal is one of my pet hates :)

Yeah same as above but I don't know what people do but do they go round up the players after the goal

I guess if they're celebrating then going over and asking them to get a move on is ok.

But I must admit I've seen no goal celebrations in any of my matches

You don't really have to tell them really what it does is helps you get away from any of the unhappy people and your going with the happy then it also helps look for any players that looking for any of the afters

Same as with the ball been in/out of play decision that are tight whether that be a throw-in, corner or goal kick, I'll use my whistle if there's a potential for play to continue unaware. If every man and his dogs knows it's crossed the line, whether that be for a throw-in or a goal, there's absolutely no need. I've noticed they do use the whistle too much in some other European countries.

When the ball crosses the line, play stops so no need to blow. In the case where there is doubt and people play on, then a whiste is used to stop play. So on that one - no, unless it's up for debate.

Whistle MAY be used to restart play, not MUST, so corners etc as above. Removes the impact - like you see everyone weearing a Hi-Vis on site, but the one that "stands out" i the person without one; but the point of a Hi-Viz is to stand out and be seen ........

Same as with the ball been in/out of play decision that are tight whether that be a throw-in, corner or goal kick, I'll use my whistle if there's a potential for play to continue unaware. If every man and his dogs knows it's crossed the line, whether that be for a throw-in or a goal, there's absolutely no need. I've noticed they do use the whistle too much in some other European countries.
Don't get me started on refereeing in the Premier League where the whistle is always blown for corners... when you are directed not to by the good book.

Don't get me started on refereeing in the Premier League where the whistle is always blown for corners... when you are directed not to by the good book.

I think it's a great tool if there's a slight deflection but as stated, overuse. When there's the slightest of deflections a quick blow of the whistle and signal is very convincing to the players. If they all start walking away for a goal kick and you're stood there stubbornly pointing for a corner your match control goes down the pan.

I think it was Spain where I watched La Liga referees blowing for goals even when they've nearly rocketed through the back of the net.

I think it's a great tool if there's a slight deflection but as stated, overuse. When there's the slightest of deflections a quick blow of the whistle and signal is very convincing to the players. If they all start walking away for a goal kick and you're stood there stubbornly pointing for a corner your match control goes down the pan.

I think it was Spain where I watched La Liga referees blowing for goals even when they've nearly rocketed through the back of the net.

Thats why its worth taking a few seconds before signalling......

This exact thing got mentioned by my assessor yesterday - he complimented the fact that I spotted a fingertip save and didn't let my mind get changed, but suggested I lost some match control because I didn't use my whistle and most people were already positioning themselves for a GK. It's not something I recall having to do before, but it was spot on advice for that exact situation.

As above, only if there's a question about whether it's crossed the line, or some other reason there may be questions about the validity of the goal, calls for offside or handball etc
Agreed, i've had a corner kick come in player heads the ball hits crossbar bounces down over the line and bounces out( grass nice and short and nice white line to help me) defenders go to kick ball away as i blow the whistle and gesture to the centre spot to indicate a goal has been scored. Have had a keeper scoop ball out as it crossed line.. blow whistle for goal.... etc.etc.

This exact thing got mentioned by my assessor yesterday - he complimented the fact that I spotted a fingertip save and didn't let my mind get changed, but suggested I lost some match control because I didn't use my whistle and most people were already positioning themselves for a GK. It's not something I recall having to do before, but it was spot on advice for that exact situation.
Had a game the other day, keeper does brilliant finger tip save i clearly saw him do it, and straight away i gestured for the corner as the players looked round at me to see what was happening..... no need for whistle.. My ref tutor told me there are only two occasions you blow your whistle ... to start play and stop play...... which at the time seemed ok but when you get 2+ players kicking off you use it for match control so there's 3

Had a game the other day, keeper does brilliant finger tip save i clearly saw him do it, and straight away i gestured for the corner as the players looked round at me to see what was happening..... no need for whistle.. My ref tutor told me there are only two occasions you blow your whistle ... to start play and stop play...... which at the time seemed ok but when you get 2+ players kicking off you use it for match control so there's 3
Fair enough in that context - in my example, most of the players weren't looking at me, they had turned and were walking away. I stood there with my arm pointing for the corner, but without my whistle, only a few people saw me - so the rest of the players noticed when they started to object and it had already become a "contentious decision", rather than because I made a clear decision and used the whistle to reinforce that.

Back