A&H

dogso - by not retreating 10 yards? red or yellow?

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
Another hypothetical one here.

Attacker goes to take a quick free kick (he's passing the ball to his team mate who is 1-on 1 v the keeper and unmarked).

Attacker takes the free kick but the defender realises this so stops the free kick from 2 yards away from the kicker.

Yellow for not being 10 yards or red for dogos?

The Referee Store
Likely neither.

Definitely not DOGSO if the defender played it with a legal part of the body.

I say likely neither because the Laws allow for a quick free kick to be taken, not requiring (or allowing the time for) the defender to give distance, but they also state that if that ball is intercepted... too bad for the attacker.

Even if it is supported in law, I am struggling to imagine how a player could be 1 on 1 but not offside when the ball is played? If he's just on, there's surely no OGSO?

Got to be a Yellow for delaying the restart.

Interesting question though as in the description the players is DOGSO but almost impossible sell to give a red card.

Even if it is supported in law, I am struggling to imagine how a player could be 1 on 1 but not offside when the ball is played? If he's just on, there's surely no OGSO?
DOGSO requires an offence "punishable by a free kick." Interesting question whether a retake is punishment by a FK.

Reactions: one
DOGSO requires an offence "punishable by a free kick." Interesting question whether a retake is punishment by a FK.
You beat me to it. The free kick in the retake is still the punishment for the previous offence so it does not count for the the "failing to respect the distance"

No , as the restart happened. It's either a booking for not respecting the required distance, or its play on as the defender didn't have time to retreat.
The scenario i described i meant a defender running towards the ball (intercepting the ball a couple of yards away from where it was kicked) and stopping the pass going through.

I'm not talking about a defender who is trying to retreat 10 yards.

The picture i get is a player trying to pass to his team mate and a defender a yard away stopping him from doing so.

The scenario i described i meant a defender running towards the ball (intercepting the ball a couple of yards away from where it was kicked) and stopping the pass going through.

I'm not talking about a defender who is trying to retreat 10 yards.
The picture i get is a player trying to pass to his team mate and a defender a yard away stopping him from doing so.
You could still argue playing on. If the player hasn’t been given time to retreat and intercepts the pass, there’s no infringement. If he’s had time to get back, but hangs around a bit expecting the pass, then it’s a booking for no respecting the required distance, not delaying the restart.

Remember, as soon as the attacker passes the ball, they’ve restarted play. Nothing has been delayed by the ball being intercepted

On an unrelated note, I scored a (disallowed) banger from midfield after we conceded a free kick. The defender blasted it into our attacker and I hit it first time, scoring in the process. Unfortunately, while nothing is wrong in law, as our guy had no time to respect the distance, football expects these to be retaken. And so, my best goal ever was disallowed :(

Not to mention we don't get qualified referees, but that's a whole other can of worms for a different time

Back