A&H

double hand

rookieRef

Level 5 Referee
hi all,
i am from Serbia living in Canada and here they call it soccer :(. i am fairly new to the forum and love all the various topics and situations, it really helps in practice. i had a situation last night and i would like to see what the right call should have been.

this time i was involved in a game as a player.
here is the situation: we are in the attacking third and i tried passing the ball to my winger on the left, however the defender handles the ball on purpose and prevents a goal scoring opportunity. the ball bounces back towards me and i catch it instinctly expecting the call and a yellow for the defender. the ref then blows the whistle, books the defender and gives them the ball with arguments that he has to sanctions the last action.

in my mind, it would have made more sense to book us both and we keep the ball, than what he did.

what is the right call here? thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
The Referee Store
He may have deemed the first HB as accidental, whether or not you agree with that. Yours- he obviously didn’t!

My advice would be to play to the whistle.

Edit: I’ve just read your post properly! It sounds as though he’s attempted to play advantage...given he’s booked the player for the first HB, before you stopped it. Without referring back to the laws I would’ve brought play back to the original HB as soon as you grabbed it personally.

Although I’d still advise you play to the whistle.

hi all,
i am from Serbia living in Canada and here they call it soccer :(. i am fairly new to the forum and love all the various topics and situations, it really helps in practice. i had a situation last night and i would like to see what the right call should have been.

this time i was involved in a game as a player.
here is the situation: we are in the attacking third and i tried passing the ball to my winger on the left, however the defender handles the ball on purpose. the ball bounces back towards me and i catch it instinctly expecting the call and a yellow for the defender. the ref then blows the whistle, books the defender and gives them the ball with arguments that he has to sanctions the last action.

in my mind, it would have made more sense to book us both and we keep the ball, than what he did.

what is the right call here? thanks for all the help!
Ordinarily (excluding uncommon unsporting behaviour or dissent by action scenarios), the only way a player can be cautioned for HB, is if the action prevented a promising attack
With respect to the new Law, the referee should have awarded an attacking direct FK if the HB prevented a promising attack or goal scoring opportunity (regardless of whether deliberate or not). Otherwise, a deliberate HB is a FK with no sanction. If you caught the ball because you expected a decision which wasn't given, it should have been a defensive FK with no sanction to you

Last edited:
Ordinarily (excluding uncommon unsporting behaviour or dissent by action scenarios), the only way a player can be cautioned for HB, is if the action prevented a promising attack
With respect to the new Law, the referee should have awarded an attacking direct FK if the HB prevented a promising attack or goal scoring opportunity (regardless of whether deliberate or not). Otherwise, a deliberate HB is a FK with no sanction. If you caught the ball because you expected a decision which wasn't given, it should have been a defensive FK with no sanction to you
The old laws still in effect and the new will only be effective in the new season kicking off in October. The defender definitely handled the ball on purpose and definitely prevented a promissing attack. I cought the ball expecting a call that came after I cought it. hope this clears out a bit.

The old laws still in effect and the new will only be effective in the new season kicking off in October. The defender definitely handled the ball on purpose and definitely prevented a promissing attack. I cought the ball expecting a call that came after I cought it. hope this clears out a bit.
So the ref gave the FK against you? No yellow card for you I take it?

correct, no booking for me and FK against us.
OK, so the ref screwed up when missing the deliberate HB, but had no option to give the FK against you once you took things into your own hands ;)
A common misconception, is that all handballs should receive a YC

I find the description of events in your post somewhat confusing. It's either a case of the referee not knowing the laws of the game, you not knowing what the referee has done or you not being very familiar with the laws of the game. I am guessing it may be a combination of all. There are a lot of discrepancies in the way you descried the incident.
  • Defender preventing a goal scoring opportunity by handling the ball on purpose (deliberately) is always a red card. The referee yellow carding the defender for "DOGSO-HB" doesn't make sense.
  • A defender handling your cross to a winger being a "denying a goal scoring opportunity" is not possible (well it is possible but not in the way you have painted the picture in my mind)
  • "sanction" in football is used when carding a player. Sanction the last action would have meant carding you and not the defender
  • If you mean "penalise" the last action, then that would be a basic error. Referees at a basic level should know you always penalise the first offence and not the last.
  • I can hardly see a scenario in this where both of you should be yellow carded.

So a few questions,
Did the referee say he thought it was a deliberate handball?
Did the referee say he though it was denying a goal scoring opportunity?
Did the referee say he thought there were two offences, one by you and one by the defender?

Last edited:
Like @one I find your description of events somewhat confusing. Anyway, I think we should start with one of the clearer things and the most salient point (for me) in what you've recounted. This is that the referee was wrong to give the ball back to the defending team, saying he had to 'sanction' the last offence. It's actually the opposite - the referee has to penalise offences in the order they occur. So assuming he did see an offence by the defender (which, as he cautioned him, seems a given) the restart has to be a direct free kick to the attacking team.

You say the handling denied a goal scoring opportunity but I'm wondering if that was really the case. Of course it's impossible to judge without seeing the actual incident but it doesn't seem to fit with your description (or the sanction the referee handed out). The way you describe it, it sounds to me more like an offence that stopped a promising attack and if so, that would also make a yellow card for the defender the correct outcome.

Also, since he did caution the defender, that means has decided (albeit perhaps only in retrospect) that an offence had occurred before you handled the ball. If so, then I would say the ball was in effect, already out of play before you handled it and so I don't think you should have been penalised at all. Certainly the free kick should not have gone against you if the defender committed the first offence.

It is not always easy to describe events as they happened, so please bear with me :).
The pass was definitely sending in the winger towards the net and yes the defender did stick out his arm and handled the ball on purpose. The ref did see that as he booked him for his actions.
He was probably a tad slow to blow the whistle which in fact caused me to catch the ball. I was not expecting a fk against us however.
I hope this helps out in painting the picture of events.

It is not always easy to describe events as they happened, so please bear with me :).
The pass was definitely sending in the winger towards the net and yes the defender did stick out his arm and handled the ball on purpose. The ref did see that as he booked him for his actions.
He was probably a tad slow to blow the whistle which in fact caused me to catch the ball. I was not expecting a fk against us however.
I hope this helps out in painting the picture of events.
Doesn't sound like DOGSO to me. It's not obvious at all that the receiving attacker would be able to control the ball and get away a shot. No dismissal for me.
It definitely is a promising attack, though, so a caution for USB would be entirely correct in that case.
Either way, if he's penalising the defender for a foul, he can't then call it an advantage to the attack to award a free kick the other way, so he should penalise the defence. Play should have been stopped after you caught the ball, with the restart being a DFK to the attack, or a PK if the handball offence was in the box.

Thanks all!
In either case, we should have kept the ball with a DFK is what everyone is saying. Much appreciated

Thanks all!
In either case, we should have kept the ball with a DFK is what everyone is saying. Much appreciated
Or a penalty kick if handling was in the penalty area. If DFK (meaning it was outside) then the chances of it being a "denying a goal scoring opportunity" are very small. Of course it's one of those that you have to be there.

Or a penalty kick if handling was in the penalty area. If DFK (meaning it was outside) then the chances of it being a "denying a goal scoring opportunity" are very small. Of course it's one of those that you have to be there.
It was more of a SPA than DOGSO and yes it was outside the area.

Reactions: one
Impossible to know what the correct outcome should have been without seeing it, the original descriptions says passing the ball to your winger so i think we have all got a picture in our head the ball is going wide and away from goal, this might not be the case but is crucial to the colour of the card shown.

One thing we can all agree on is once the referee has punished the defender for hand ball in no way should you have been punished by the other side having a free kick.

Back